Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Moving the strap button on an Epi Thunderbird Elitist

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xparis001, Jan 23, 2006.

1. xparis001

xparis001 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Worcester, ma
    Product Manager, Akai Professional
    Hi all,

I've seen discussions online about moving the strap buttons on an epi t-bird to the neck heel to improve balance, but has anyone tried this on a Thunderbird elitist model? this is a set neck model, not a bolt. I'd like to move the button to the neck heel, just below ehere the 'made in japan' sticker is, but I have nightmares about somehow it destabilizes the glue and the bass falls into a mizillion pieces. anyone have any thoughts?

thanks,

2. trumpeter

trumpeter

Jan 23, 2006
    Amherst, MA
    I dont think it would be that much of a worry, but if you are too worried, don't do it.

3. gravaged

gravaged

Dec 9, 2005
    Alabama
    I did this to a set-neck guitar; drilling into that joint sure goes against all common sense, but I didn't think much of it at the time. So far it has done well though, it didn't fall apart or anything and it plays soooo much better. I'm thankful for that.

I wouldn't trust just my personal experience though, some more qualified replies would be good.

4. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    there's plenty of guitars and basses that come that way from the factory, so it shouldn't be a problem. just place the strap button in the middle of the heel. you won't even be close to the neck joint.