1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Moving to a different European city for music

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MrUsefulAlien, Dec 2, 2018.

1. MrUsefulAlien

MrUsefulAlien

Jun 10, 2011
    Prague, CZ
    Hey all,
    I read some older threads about ideal cities and most threads wind up discussing US cities, understandably.
    I lived in the Philly area for a while, and am now based in Prague since 2016.
    I am about to finish my MA in political science, and have an ESL job online that is super flexible, so a steady income is already there (I work about 25 hours a week on non music stuff).

I am looking for input on where I should move next, within Europe (I have an EU passport).
    I've played with about 14 different bands and projects here in Prague, the bulk of which was bar/club shows, festivals and some private events. I got a bit tired of low paying gigs, but I could easily play 5-8 times a week.
    I also have about 8 bass students, which is fun.

I played with a few originals projects that were fusion/funk, punk and psychadelic rock; but the majority of my cover work was latin music (cumbia/bachata/salsa etc.), pop/rock and top 40's, as well as some real book jazz.

I would like to be in a city where I could do a good blend of originals, covers and session/studio stuff, so I'm pretty open but would like to earn at least 30-40% of my income through music.

How is your experience in other European cities? How is the music scene in Spain or the Netherlands? Are there other sleeper countries where things are really happening? Also, ideally I'd like to be in a Eurozone country since the low pay here in CZ is brutal.

I do have family in London with a lot of connections in the music/arts/design fields, but I cost of living there might be prohibitive on its own.

Either way, would love some recommendations!

PS
    I'm 29 and have a dog and no debt, so I'm super mobile with no obligations :D

2. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    If you have connections in London, that might be a good plan, although with all the talk about Brexit, I've no idea how things will be in a year or two.
    It's been a long time since I knew London well, but like most major cities, there will be cheaper areas to stay, probably a bit away from the centre.
    Against that, London's transport system is pretty impressive.

Maybe consider Lisbon too. I was on holidays there this summer, and there seemed to be a very vibrant music scene, although I've no idea how well-paid bands were.

Dublin, my hometown, has plenty of music going on too, although the money's not great, and accommodation prices are increasingly high.

Good luck in your search.

MrUsefulAlien likes this.
  3. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Bump

MrUsefulAlien likes this.
  4. MrUsefulAlien

MrUsefulAlien

Jun 10, 2011
    Prague, CZ