1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Moving to Australia

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by RedGrange, Sep 14, 2008.

1. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    If all things go well, I'll be moving to Brisbane (from the US) in January (457 Visa).

I'm interested in talking to any Americans that have made the move down under, or any people that live in Brisbane.

I'm a little nervous, overwhelmed and confused... but it is an amazing opportunity for a 28 year old single gun.

please email me!!

2. well there is a man drought in ozzy land so bring much protection

3. My sister lives has lived in Brisbane for the past 14 years & loves it, she a citizen now, married with 2 kids. We (whole family) went over about 9 years ago for a month and what a culture shock, hardly any crime, outdoor culture. I think it can be hard at first setting up a network of friends but they're very friendly, welcoming folk. Good luck and keep us updated when you make the move.
    cheers

4. I live in Brisbane, feel free to ask me anything.

If you want any bass gear might as well bring it over with you, prices here are ridiculous.

5. Yeah, kiss goodbye to cheap bass gear. I live in Melbourne, which I think all around is a better city but Brisbane has some seriously great weather and beaches. And come December when all the kids go on schoolies (which is the Aussie equivalent or spring break, sort of) it becomes party central! But moving to Australia is just a great move in general, good luck!

Feel free to PM with any questions about Australia in general, Brisbane I'm only sort of familiar with, but I moved here from the UK when I was a child so I know a little about the process etc.

6. reens

reens

Mar 16, 2005
    Brisbane
    yeah, bring gear! gear not cheap (depending on your expectations ;-).

You might even find a band or two --- seems plenty is going on musically in Brisvegas at the mo...

Come on down!

7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    It's because of the man drought, isn't it?

8. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    You made the right choice my friend!

9. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm gonna echo what everyone else said and say, BRING GEAR!!! ;)

And Sydney pwns every other city. :p :D

10. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I plan on bring one of my 4 basses... perhaps it will be a new one (then I'd sell it when my visa expires or I leave).

What I am really "worried" about is the rest of my stuff. The company I'll be working for will move everything... but that might be more of a hassle than it's worth. All the electrical plugs are different, plus it would cost a lot (and I'd be on the hook for tens of thousands of dollars if I decide to leave before 2 years).

I'm sure it is not cheap, but would sticking my stuff in storage in the US be a better option than taking it all with me... or somewhere in between. I'm sure a furnished apartment is not cheap either...

Then there is the matter of buying a car when I'm over there ... which I HAVE to do (because they will be paying me for it).

11. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    That is nice to hear... I need all the advantages I can get.