Moving to Boston?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nick Bibeault, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Well, next summer a couple of friends and myself have decided to try to find an appartment in or close to the city of boston. I know i am announcing this a little early but the earlier the better since i have no idea on how to even look for an appartment in the city which brings me to this question. How would i go about finding a place in boston? Are there any suggestions any of you can give me to help us decide what is the best way to start looking? do any of you have or have friends looking to rent out an appartment in Boston?

Thanks for any help.
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    okay..I think I can help you dude.

3 of my friends moved to boston recently, they were going to get a place together when one of them bailed

now 2 are living together looking for one roommate

and the other is living together looking for 2 roommates!

I'll try and get in contact with them but since they all JUST moved, they don't have internet, and I don't have their numbers yet.

they are all going to berklee together, one of the places is like 3 minutes from the school.

the other is like a 30 minute walk from the school(it's near boston commons)

edit:you ARE announcing this early..I highly doubt either of my friends will still be looking for roommates by next summer.

especially since I will be most likely moving in with one of them this spring(when I go to berklee)

sorry there.
  3. thanks for the info and i know this is still early. the berklee area or around central boston would be ideal since i have several friends that are attending berklee and other colleges around that area.

I was just seeing if anyone could help me get started on looking for a place and if i find a place i might be able to put a deposit on it. but like i said, it is still VERY early.
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Bring money, rents are insane in Boston these days. I knew guys who pay more in rent than I pay for my mortgage.

Do NOT come in the late summer when students are all scrambling for rooms, the end of the school year (May, June) is a much better time to be looking.
  5. ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    If you are moving there next summer you may want to make an early trip to figure out where you would like to live, what the rent is in certain areas, how close everything is to what you need. That sort of thing. Doing a little early reconnaissance will help in the long run. Winter sucks there so be prepared. If you are tight on money you may want to look at some of the surrounding areas since anything in the city is outrageous. Boston does have good mass trans so it is somewhat easy to get into the city if you live outside of it. Also remember that if you live in the city and own a car parking is nearly impossible and renting a parking spot will sometimes rival what you pay for rent.

Good luck and have fun.
  6. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Check out the Boston Phoenix website. The Phoenix is a magazine that has alot of listings for apartments and roommate situations.

I lived in Boston for a little over 4 years. It is a very cool city.
  7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I lived there for 22 years, in and around b-town... Went to college there, gigged a bunch there, delivered mail for the USPS in some of the hippest sections of Boston...

Surrounding town that I have lived in that are Hip:

Somerville, Any where around Davis Sq (Paris of the 90's)

Cambridge, cultural mecca on the other side of "'that dirty water... Charles River"

Sections of Boston:

Fenway, that is a back-bay section of Boston. Expensive, I lived there when I was making good Chee$e... Lots of Berserklee Students...

Mission Hill, lots of Mass Art Students and N'estern & NEC students... kinda like the Student Ghetto, real hip...

North End, great Italian rest's, very european cobble stones!!

Bunch more to tell you... PM me any questions, I know Boston VERY Well... it is still in my blood... one of the best cities on the planet IMHO!!!
  8. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Look into hooking. Quick, easy money. Just don't kiss on the lips, it's too personal.

9. that could work but me being 6`4" 300lbs, i think i would scare more "clients" away.

;) :D
  10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    There is a market for anything and everything.