Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Moving to Dallas, info needed!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Morgan, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I just found out that I'm moving from Northern Virginia to Dallas, Texas!
    I'd appreciate any information that TBers could provide about things like instrument stores, good luthiers, a good place to have repair and set up work done, good private instructors, etc.
    Thanks!

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hey, are you that big guy from the WWE? :D

3. Matt Morgan

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I'd be surprised if I weighed half of that guy. Ahh, the joys of modern chemistry and a well paid pharmacist!

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  5. Matt Morgan

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I'll take the heat over cold any day of the week.

6. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    When are you planning on moving. If you get here by the July 31st there is a big gtg planned. Unfortuntately Dallas is domintated by GC. However there is one really super shop called Larry Morgan's in Garland as well as a couple of other smaller shops. Fortunately we get two of the best guitar shows in the country every year so it gives you something to look forward too.

7. Matt Morgan

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Looks like I'll miss the gtg. I won't be there until mid/late August.
    Thanks for the info on the shop in Garland!

8. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000

+1

As for luthiers, see Mr. Pete Skjold.
    Let us know when you get here.

9. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    Oh Matt............. Sweet Innocent Matt..........

Today at my place of business (a local Mercedes dealer in Bedford,TX) the thermometers in the cars are reading 109 degrees and it's just past noon. By 5:00 they will say 115-116 degrees.

Bring sunscreen ;)

Welcome,
    Fo'

10. Matt Morgan

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Neither sweet, nor innocent.

Over the last several years, I've worked and lived outdoors for extended periods of time.

The coldest I've experienced was -23F with 50mph sustained and 90 mph gust winds around Mt. Washington in New Hampshire about two years ago. The wind chill charts we had didn't even have a reading for those conditions.
    The hottest temp I've worked in was 137F air temp with surface temps of around 160-180. No wind. Those were some pretty toasty days last summer when I was working out of the U.S.. Some of the equipment that I was wearing I had secured to myself with some pretty tough tape and the stuff actually melted off of me. I was walking along and from time to time, I'd hear a "thud" and have to turn around a pick something up that had melted off.

Heat I can deal with. Cold is just pure unadulterated misery.
    That's just me. Some guys I work with are the exact opposite. They love being up at altitude or out in the cold and walk around in next to nothing. They love it. More power to 'em.
    I just deal with heat better.

11. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I forget his last name, but there is a guy named Phil that works at Larry Morgan and teaches as well. Pete Skjold might give lessons as well actually, and as mentioned above, makes a damn fine bass (and soon to be pre-amp).

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Not the actual air temp, of course.

brad cook

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I believe Chuck Rainey lives in the area!

Don't know if he's taking students though.

brad cook

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I'm the opposite.

What were you doing. if you don't mindmy asking, in 137 degrees?

15. Matt Morgan

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Come on Bliss...you know I work for Wal-mart. One of those greeters, remember?

16. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Unfortunately Banjo Center does dominate the Dallas market. I've found the best one to be the Dallas Central store at 75 and Southwestern. Larry Morgan has a better selection of higher end stuff.

For setups, upgrades and repairs, the 2 best are Sam Swank and Rene Martinez (SRV's, Jimmie Vaughan and Carlos Santana's tech).

If you need amp work Terrance Slemmons is the best. He's not cheap, but he is the best.

So are you planning on actively playing in the area? The Dallas music scene is (ahem) "interesting"...

17. Pete skjold

Pete skjold

May 29, 2004
    Warsaw Ohio
    there is a newer store in Frisco TX that has many great lines of bass guitars . They are Anderson Guitar Gallery .

You mentioned the GTG so you must already have heard of them . Stop by and say hi when you get here to TX .

Pete

18. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    What part of Dallas are you coming to?

19. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000

You work at Park Place?
    Cause I've been contemplating a CLK...

20. Matt Morgan

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I plan on living in the "downtown" or central part of the city. I don't want to live any more than about a fifteen minute drive into the downtown area.
    I'm heading down there to look for a house during the middle two weeks of July.