Moving to Florida

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mikemulcahy, Aug 18, 2002.

1. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Hey guys I am headed south. Going to take an administrative position this go around. I need a break from clinical medicine, badly burned out. But hopfully this will recharge my system and the passion i had for my craft will return.

So any of you Fla. guys with gigs close or even not so close may get a visit.

2. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    where at in florida? i grew up in tampa, lots of great musical opportunities around.
  3. Good luck Dr. Mike.

Hope everything works out for ya.
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I too made a move to FL about a year ago. It takes some getting used to, but if this is your bag, you'll dig it. It's not my bag, but I can see why some people love it here.

I'm in Port St. Lucie, about 3 hours east of Tampa, and about 2 hours south of Orlando.
  5. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Welcome to Florida! :)
  6. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I will be moving to Punta Gorda next week.

7. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Im up in the tampa/clearwater area Mike. Been here for close to 21 years now.

Punta Gorda's about 2.5 hours south of me

The lack of scenery is probably the hardest thing to get used to, we dont have all 4 seasons down here, and leaves dont change collors, at least thats one thing I miss about living a little farther north
  8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey dr. mike, good luck with the scenery change.
  9. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I may get a chance to go down to Naples, Marco Island. I hear thats very upscale...anybody here know about that?

Oh, getting to go to maybe do some gigs with the guy I play with now-sorry I didn't mention it before.
  10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Excellent news Doc Mike! Now you have no excuse for not stopping in the shop, eh? ;)

Hey, you gonna be settled in in time to make a run up to the Atl TB get together next month???? :D
  11. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    so it would be near cape coral and fort myers?
  12. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Mole crickets, snakes, gators, Nile virus, mosquitoes, geriatrics, perpetual stiffening heat.

Great place, you will have to speak at least 3 languages to survive.
  13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    You left out hurricanes, the highest incidence of lightning, morons that can't punch a hole in a piece of paper, insane amounts of traffic in any city that isn't a sleepy redneck infested backwater, bacteria infested lakes, a major drought (that is just now ending....I HOPE), lack of sufficient groundwater to support the ballooning population....

...c'mon down, it's wonderful here!!!!!

14. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    And fireants. Those lil buggers will hide for the first couple days and on the third morning, you'll be wading your way to the door in ankle-deep guzzling matt of poisonous, biting insects to get your morning paper. I know, I once saw document from Discovery Channel about that! Also, I bet that the gators are pretty aggravated from all that dryness and are active seeking new ponds..

Uhm, nevermind, enjoy Florida :D
  15. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    You guys should work for the Chamber of Commerce, such glowing comments on your state. :p :p :p The city is directly between Ft Meyers and Sarasota. Kind of a bedroom community. Checked out for a few days and its really nice.

As for the weather, NC is experiencing the worst drought in history, remember hurricanes Fran, Floyd, Hugo Rednecks???? Man I live in NC, we invented rednecks!!!!!

Its the change of pace and scenery I am after, to take a break and recharge. If I dont like it, there is always JT's house.:rolleyes:

16. jhamby2000

Jun 14, 2002
    i've lived in ft myers for 16 years and i don't plan on ever living anywhere else i love it!
  17. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    They call it "Lightening Alley". Brace up dude.
  18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Guess what,

They arent lying about the stroms. its pouring outside and the lighning is striking.

I think Will Smith muct have been talking about Miami Ohio.:rolleyes:

Either way, its not too bad, we have Bass Central (which I still havent been to), and if my band ever heads in your direction, Ill be sure to tell you.

Oh and check out the Miami local band Pygmy if you ever get a chance. They rarely ever play in Miami because the people here dont know good music, but they do play in the surrounding area.

19. I erased my cookies and this was the first thread I saw..

So thread starter are you still living in Florida?