Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Moving to Hawaii?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Feb 24, 2006.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    My fiancee and I have joked around about moving to Hawaii each winter for the past few years. The other day I made a comment about it and she was like "Seriously, we should move to Hawaii" Yeah right I thought...like that would ever really happen...Or could it?? So I started doing a little research into reloacting and I'm starting to think she might be on to something.

It would be hard, but so worth it. Even if its just for a couple years. Anyway, We're young- I'm 28 she's 21, We don't have kids yet, etc...Why not? I'll just sell everything I own, buy an acoustic bass and some flip-flops. I figure If We get there and We're broke...who cares we're in Hawaii!:p

I guess what I'm getting at with this thread is has anyone relocated to Hawaii or another exotic local? If so, what was it like, was it expensive, etc...? Doesn't have to be Hawaii specifically or even exotic...but somewhere that you'd think "yea right, only in my dreams."

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

There's probably a way to move your stuff to Hawaii so you don't have to sell it all.

3. Have you ever been there? It's drastically overrated and VERY expensive. I don't think I will ever go back again.

4. Try:

www.matson.com

They ship containers to Hawaii from any point in the US. (I'm originally from Hawaii and have a house there as well; shipped my car there a few years ago via Matson).

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

There you go.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    We installed the phone and data network for a shipping company that ships to Hawaii. I could probably hook you up with a sweet deal if you go for it.

-Mike

7. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Expensive is a lot of what I've heard, talk to some people who live there/have been there and get some perspective.

But if you want to and can, go for it! :)

8. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Yeah... like he said. Don't come... we don't want you here. If you come to Hawaii, we will boil you in a pot, and then eat you... :D

9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Hawaii is probably one of my favorite places in the world. However, you are wise to ask the questions you did before considering a drastic change of venue. I'm an expert on the subject having lived in South America, Africa, South East Asia, Europe and the north, south and western United States.

Though Hawaii is a part of the US, logistics of moving there are closer to that of an international move considering the distance involved.

What I am not clear on from your post is have you ever visited Hawaii? You know there are several islands and each has its own characteristics. Which island would you choose and why?

While I love Hawaii, the culture, the climate, the pure air and the lifestyle, I can easily imagine how "island fever" soon could set in because you really are hours and hours by plane from the US and each island, except for the Big Island is small enough to drive around in relatively short time. You both will be far from family and if an emergency arises, it will take you a long time to get back to your family.

Also, as was said, everything is more expensive because it is almost all imported from somewhere else. Living costs are high.

Before you go seriously check out property values and rental expenses. Also seriously check out employment possibilities and income potential.

If you move your belongings, shipping over water can be hugely expensive and time consuming. It may be well worth your while to sell everything you can't pack in a suitcase and start over in Hawaii.

The BEST thing you could do before you make such a huge decision is, if you can, visit the state first, check out various islands and use the time to study employment and living possibilities. Don't go as a tourist on holiday. Go as as if you are conducting an investigative study. You won't be living there as a tourist. You'll be a working resident which can be an entirely different proposition even though you are in paradise.

Going there knowing what to expect and being prepared to meet the challenges of your new state as an adventure which will bring both frustration and excitement is the best way to move. Don't go on an impulse. Know what you are doing and have a well-thought out plan.

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I lived on Oahu for 3 years, and I loved it. True, it was very expensive, but the island is bigger than most people realize. I heard all sorts of "island fever" stories, but I never experienced it. My wife and I were very active - beach, hiking, etc. I've seen places on that island that no tourist will *ever* see. It's truly one of the most beautiful places on earth.

I'd go back in a heartbeat if I could afford it....

11. Well, I do know when I went there I encountered about 75 percent of the native population as racists. "White boy" is their favorite word and we're all evil because we stole their island.

It's pretty odd. I couldn't even go to the grocery store without a native saying some rude, racist comment at me. Very uncomfy. Not to mention the massive drug problem there and the trash and the laxed zoning laws and the poorly kept houses and all the dangerous dogs in people's yards with no warnings and did I say the trash?

I found the only place I felt comfy at was the ocean and even there you'd be surprised by some drug addict climbing out of a bush after a sleep. Tent cities everywhere. Drug addicts at every corner.

Hawaii is a mess in my opinion. But, there are several islands and I am sure it is different at everyone. But once I got off the Honolulu Airport, I wasn't impressed much. Even the Pro Bowl Stadium looks like a rusted piece of garbage.

I know other parts of the island are better, so my experiences might be a little off base. But I found more racism there than here in redneck country.

But, the views sure are great and the ocean is breathtaking.

12. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Neither of us has been there. We're starting to plan a visit this fall to investigate. But, I'm thinking we'd probably move to Oahu.

I need to research the job market more. That my biggest fear, that I will have a hard time finding work out there. I'm a graphic designer, so I'll want to be near the city...but not directly in it if possable. My girl is also planning on attending college there so that will play a big part in the decision.

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I havent been their but I have heard it is really beautiful.

14. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Aloha... :)

15. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    That's interesting; Hawaii is one of the only places where I haven't encountered racism as a Black man. We had such a great time there. My wife and I would love to live in Kauai, but we're not seriously considering the move...we'll just have to visit again!

Marshall

16. It's probably paradise for a black man. I was speaking of white people. I am a white guy.

I was in a very unusual place. I will have to find the name. A native lady I was hanging out with said I was in the Ghetto of the main island. Uh huh. I sure was.

17. :) I know you!

18. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Yeah, I caught that. :) But my wife is white, and neither us individually or together caught any flack. Not to say what you experienced didn't happen at all. I appreciate you saying what happened.

Marshall

19. I should have gone with you Marshall :)

My time there, 10 days, was not that bad. It's not like I couldn't deal with it; I just ignored it. But the tent city stuff really weirded me out.

20. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Wow you do that too?! I thought only we Floridians kept that tradition alive!