Moving to Houston - scene? Gigs?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mastiff_5, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Mastiff_5

Mastiff_5

Mar 26, 2013
    i may be moving to Houston very soon, am a (generally) rock/alt bassist with decent backing vocal action... What is the scene like? Lots of venues? I just started a new hot alt-rock cover band, and it will break my heart to leave it (in the northwest Arkansas area - Fayetteville).
    Can you give me some info on the state of the scene and venues there? Lively or dead? Help!!

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    The stereotype is that Houston is all gay clubs and DJ's but I'm sure that isn't the whole of the scene LOL. Austin is rumored to having mostly low and no pay gigs for the too many bands competing - hopefully better in Houston?

3. Mastiff_5

Mastiff_5

Mar 26, 2013
    Hmmm... let's hope the stereotypes aren't true!!! haha

4. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Not lookin' good so far - nobody here from the Houston area?

5. Mastiff_5

Mastiff_5

Mar 26, 2013
    Yeah, maybe there are only two or three bassists in the whole town!! whoop whoop!! hahaha

6. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    When I moved to Texas I sold off almost all of my guitar gear so I could play bass again (was in Chicago for the previous five years as a guitarist, couldn't get a bass gig anywhere!) and I sold a pretty reknowned guitar amp (Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Revision F "Blackface") to a Houston metal guitarist. He told me that in his circles there Houston has a great supportive Metal scene with San Antonio also pretty awesome. I can tell you that there is a strong but smaller Metal community here in Austin but the gigs pay horribly, hence why I'm a country bassist.

Johnny Crab likes this.
  7. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    Yep. Never played any country bass at all until we moved from Louisiana to Texas in 1989......then it's everywhere. We'd gas up on trips from seeing family in New Orleans in Orange, Texas and eat at either the Burger King or What-A-Burger and.....there it is, country musak/music at the gas pumps and in the food places.

@Mastiff_5 you might check with the folks at Scout Bar as the owner(s) may be helpful. I saw Delain/Nightwish there a year or 2 ago.
    Scout Bar
    The Hunger

TheBear likes this.
  8. BossOnBass

BossOnBass Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Been in Houston for almost 10 years. I personally found it difficult to keep originals bands together here. The city is so big and spread out that rehearsing regularly seems to become an obstacle if one member lives too far away, which often happens. Cover bands seem to do better. If you can sing, play bass and you want to do covers you shouldn't have a problem getting something together.

RoadRanger likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021