1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Moving to LA- Need advice from veterans

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RRob, Jan 7, 2012.

1. RRob

RRob

Jan 7, 2012
    Background-

21 years old. Graduate college in a few months. Went to a contemporary music school in Minnesota. Will have a Bachelor's Degree in hand.

I play electric and upright. I understand fully what a working musician is, and have no delusions of moving to Los Angeles and "making it." I need as many opinions and suggestions as possible, but I do have quite a few friends that are living/have lived in the area that can also help.

I need advice from anyone who lives and/or has lived in the area on the following topics:

Areas to avoid housing wise. Obviously I'm going to be looking as cheap as possible, but bad areas of LA are REALLY bad. So other than South Central, Compton...other spots I should steer clear of?

Jobs. Naturally my goal is to play as much as possible, but I'm going to need cash right away. I have a college degree. What areas might I consider looking in for a solid day gig in the area?

Other than that, other suggestions I haven't asked for are appreciated. Yes, I know it's expensive, and no I don't think I'm going to go there and turn into the next super star.

Thanks for your time and help!

2. RRob

RRob

Jan 7, 2012
    ....anyone?