Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Moving to Memphis

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Skorzen, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Hey folks this Yankee boy is moving down to the land of the Delta Blues for the school year. I was wondering if any of you had suggestions on good places to shop for bass related stuff(any thing has to be better then lame ol MA) Yeah ok this thread was created primarilly for me to vent off some excitement, but if any of you have any useful, or not, advice pass it along..

Thanks

2. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    hey man wassup?
    memphis is great.. i was born there..
    well they have Martin Music in germantown/cordova area.. iplaybass goes there alot..
    Strings and things.. they have a website.. its in midtown memphis.. Great place.. they sell some nice gear =D
    Mars music is off White station.. Its a really really good place to shop they just started carying SWR gear. They have mostly like fender,washburn, cort, esp stuff like that. Wheras Martin is more Ken smith and PSR guitars and such. I like mars alot better though to be honest.. because im afraid i might break something on accident =(
    well i hope you have fun living in memphis. maybe me , you and andy can have a talkbass get together sometime

3. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Hi Skorzen, my name is Andy and I live in Germantown, east of the Memphis city limits. Are you going to school at Rhodes or U of M, or somewhere else? Either way, there is a nice music scene and a fair bit to do downtown if you are over 21. There are several places to shop for bass gear: a Mars Music in East Memphis, Strings and Things in Midtown, Martin Music in Cordova, Yarbrough's Music in Cordova, and several other smaller shops. If you are interested in drum gear at all, the Memphis Drum Shop is in Midtown. Feel free to PM me if you want any more information, things to do... etc. Hope you enjoy your stay here, it can be a nice city if you don't mind making your own excitement.:D

4. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Yeah hey thanks for the replies. I will be living in Lakeland, which is actually right outside of Memphis. I was downthere in June and got to check out Strings and Things, its a cool place but their basses are expensive. I think they wanted something like 1200 for a used Cirrus :rolleyes: I look forward to checking out all the cool gear, but now if I only had money :mad: Yeah I will see how buisy I am going to be but if you alll wanted to try to get together and have a bass jam or whatever you wanna call it that would be pretty cool. I might even get the guy who teaches bass at the school I am going to come I swear he is a god on bass he plays things on the bass that I never dreamed of, oh and did I mention he took lessons from none other then Victer Wooten? ok talk to yall(I gotta get used to that ;) :p :D) later

5. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Yea, I know how pricing can be at most of the local stores, but they are nice to have to try out gear before I buy it. As for Wooten, his Bass and Nature camp is in West Tennessee, just west of Nashville, where the Wooten brothers peform quite often. Hope you like Lakeland! Man, and I thought I lived way out! ;)

PS: We don't all say ya'll. Really...:D :D :D

6. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    hey man i relocated to nashville from midtown memphis about 2 years ago. Strings and things seems expensive but it's like buyin a car... haggle haggle haggle. if you go to martin ask for zack or stacy and tell them big jon from nashville sent you. they are prolly your best choice for higher end stuff. dont forget that brian barrett is in memphis too and he has the highest end stuff.