1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Moving to NYC, gigs?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fivestringdan, Feb 26, 2008.

1. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Hey all. I'm going to be relocating to NYC and was wondering how to go about picking up gigs in the area? I read "almost have a music degree" and play by ear well. Just don't know anyone from the area and wanted to get some input. Thanks.

2. Very competitive professional enviornment...

3. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Are you a dope-nasty mfer of a player?

4. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    umm..good luck...the best gigs are about connections..you want union theater gigs, or gigs with bands of hipsters from Williamsburg....? umm? Jazz gigs can be had, but don't pay squat...(where's that Fuqua guy to set this guy straight? :D)

gotta a Fender? ;)

5. Phantopeth

Phantopeth

Jan 10, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Don't forget Craiglist, sometimes in my boredom I do gig searches there and have always seen opportunities. But yea, depends on what you're looking for.

6. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    The easiest way to find paying gigs without having any local credentials is craigslist. The more you play the easier it is to find yourself gigs.

7. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    No thank you...I'm in my thirties.:crying:

Union theater gigs sound more like the avenue I was trying to travel.

I thought everyone owned a Fender?

8. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    For Union Theater gigs, you need to get to know the Contractors, and the Musical Directors of the shows. The Contractor is the guy who will call you, but if a MD likes your playing, that can really help you get gigs. It is very much a matter of connections, and being in local 802.

Keep in mind people like Tom Barney will be your competition for gigs like the Lion King. And be prepared to be a "sub" for a long time.