Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Moving to Paris

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Atef, Aug 30, 2004.

1. In less than a week(Septembre the 5th) I will be moving to Paris for 9-10 months. I will be working in a hotel 40 hours a week. There are two things on my mind though, my French is limited, and I don't know ANYBODY over there.

My French will probably improve fast enought, so I'm not going to worry about that. But my social life will need some work over there, I was in Paris 2 weeks ago, and found it hard to find the best spots for going out, aside from going out beeing VERY expensive, i didn't seem to find any places where the Parisien youth is going(I'm 18, so ), any help on that matter. Where to meet people of my age?

furthermore, any tips, guidances etc.?
    I've been to Paris twice now, but any guidelines for living there, as opposed to just visiting?

Also, I'm stationed in the 15th Arrondissement(sp?), from what I gather it's mostly a living quarter with not much to do... any word on that?

thanks in advance

2. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Good luck with the move. Paris is a great city, one of the greatest in the world. I don't know it well enough to assist with recommendations.

3. there must be some parisians(sp?) here?

4. Good luck on going to Pari.

I haven't been to France in years so I don't know if I could help you,sorry.

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Damn, I wish I could've done that in my youth...

Think of it this way, sex w/ hot french chicks!!

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Your profile indicates over 40 and yet your post indicates around 14. Just one of those wacky internet happenings I guess.

brad cook

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    LOL, too funny. I hope to god I never fully grow up.

8. mmm...hot chicks...that are french

9. I might be going to France, but that is not til like March or May...and like I said might. If the whole reason I might go there doesn't work out then I will probably just go to England (yay for being able to comunicate! :smug: ) cause now I want to travel to Europe but don't have the vacation time go to England now and France then. I might go to both anyways :hyper: (dufus smiley :D )

10. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    You must understand that some of us married guys live vicariously through others in that department. Trust me, it's much better that way.

You go Atef!
    :hyper:

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm married too. I'm not interested in sex w/ French girls.

brad cook

12. Acephalous

Acephalous

Jul 10, 2004
    Paris
    The 15th arrondissement is a wealthy one, there's nothing to do there.
    Try the other bank of the Seine.

Youth people go in nightclubs, I think. (I can't advise you about for I'm not a regular, but they must be on right bank.)
    Beware of Le Marais, a gay area around the 4th arrondissement :D

If you have other questions i'm at your disposal.

13. Ok, I have been here for over a week now, everything is great, just don't know a lot of people. Anyone interested might have a look into my weblog(am I alowed to post the link here? if not, dear moderators, please remove it. People intersted can PM me instead) http://ateparis.blogspot.com

nothing much to say, if anyone has any tips for what to do(don't give me the louvre d'orsay pompidou etc.etc.etc answer) somehting original, well let's hear.

14. Acephalous

Acephalous

Jul 10, 2004
    Paris
    The catacombs (entry is at Place Denfert Rochereau), it's very weird!
    Cimetière du Père-Lachaise (poetic)

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I don't know if you saw this thread I started a week or so ago but it might be of particular interest to you.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142817

brad cook

16. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I've heard the St-Michel area is popular with students.

17. bassJ725

bassJ725

Jul 7, 2004
    I just say this Le leeann est la fleur la plus belle dans le jardin to everyone and it seems to get me by...

18. bluntman_bass

bluntman_bass

Jul 13, 2004
    Wilcox, NE
    be carefull, things might get "hairy"