Moving to the U.K. as a musician

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RyRob813, Jul 23, 2009.

  1. RyRob813


    Jun 7, 2007
    St. Paul, MN
    I'm an American in music school at the moment. I've wanted to move to the U.K. for a very long time, and fully plan on doing so while I'm still young with no ties holding me down.

    I plan on working in cruise ship showbands for a year, two, or maybe more after I graduate- I've auditioned once for Carnival...wasn't quite ready, but next summer I will be. Hopefully I can get my foot in the door during college, which will allow me to work on ships after graduation, and save up a sizeable nest egg while not paying rent, bills, or food costs.

    When I feel I have enough savings to tide over a move to a new area, that's when I'll try to do it. I've been doing some research, and if seems that a visa for the U.K. is somewhat difficult to obtain; student visas are the easiest; won't be my category. The next is if you're being sponsored by and employer there and will have work right off the bat; also not me. So for a freelance gigging musician, what would be my best course of action? I need to one or another prove that I can contribute to their economy and society...difficult as a musician!

    Anyone have experience in this, or know someone who has? It's my dream to live in and/or around London, and I really want to make it happen, so I can start preparing now!

  2. Stumbo

    Stumbo Guest

    Feb 11, 2008
    Ask Dmanlamius.