Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

moving to us / full time music ?

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Fliptrique, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    Hi,

I was asked by my teacher, to ask you guys for some comment about his plans. Pawel is a respected bassist/produced here, in Poland, but the thing is that our country isn`t a very good country, when it comes to living just from playing music.

He made his way from playing upright on the streets of Paris, "night shifts" in French jazz-clubs, to leading a great alt-rock band Analog, and recording music for TV, computer games etc. The thing is, he came to the limit of what he can do in Poland, and simply feels totally limited in posibilites.
    Poland doesn`t have a tradition/culture of live music - seeing a live band in a pub is really rare. There is literally ONE solo bass player who lives just from his solo albums and giging. Other than that, there are few other who do ALL studio work and that`s about it. You can play at weedings for the rest of your life, or get a "real job" - end of story.

So. Pawel is saving some money to move to New York - let`s say that he should be able to spend few months just answering to adds in newspapers and playing his ass off everywhere it`s possible to walk in with a bass guitar and play.
    It either works, and somebody notices him, or not.

We would really appreciate if you could comment his mp3 (links below) and - possibly - give some advice about his plans. Everything you feel is important will be extremely usefull.

Here are the track - all of them were recorded direct into the soundcard, on the same bass. Each one took something like 2-3 hours to record.

track one

track two

track three

2. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Sorry Steve, listened and had to post comments :)

Whoa! Prog alert!!! :D

I only listened to the track 1 and track 2. I like it! :)

I cant comment on his likely sucess in NYC having never been there and not being a pro musician.

But I can say that my band supported an Icelandic jazz/fusion/prog band the other day who got a rousing response. So there are people out there who are into this weird kinda thing - dunno if there are enough of them to forge a living mind?

Wish your teacher good luck from me anyhow! :)

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Why New York - wouldn't Paris or London be nearer and easier?

Sorry - if I'm butting in! :oops:

4. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    For that type of thing I think Europe would be more plausible And advantageous also.

5. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Playing music professionally is a challenge pretty much everywhere, in my experience; it’s difficult, but certainly not impossible. I think it’s helpful to live in an area where you feel a connection to the music scene. New York certainly has a very active scene for several different kinds of music and offers lots of possibilities. My advice for Pawel is to travel to as many cities around the world as he can to get a feel for each one and move to the place he feels most inspired and at home.

6. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    It's worth noting that the cost of living in NYC is going to be considerably higher than in Poland. Same goes for London/Paris/LA/Tokyo/any other musical centre...

There are big advantages to being in the thick of it, where the action is etc. etc. but I have to say that very little of my solo work has come as a result of living in London. Most of it has been through connections made on line. I could have lived just about anywhere. I have made some great connections in London, but have also made great contacts in LA, San Fransisco, Verona, Southern France - all over.

If there's a specific aspect to a town that you need to tap into, then it makes sense to go there - certain clubs or players that you're desparate to hook up with - but for a solo player, there are easier routes.

But, as Michael says, travel, see which town grabs you, and head for there... Right now, I'm considering moving over to mainland Europe for a year or so at some point in the next couple of years, just for a change of scene...

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net