Moving...Uhaul, POD ...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MN_Bass, Sep 5, 2010.

1. MN_Bass

MN_Bass

Sep 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    Bought a house in AZ moving from MN. Anyone have any input on which companies are worth while, value etc. I don't have a ton of crap just the basics, bed, living room furniture, bass stuff :) Thanks in advance.

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    POD's are cool in that you can go at your own pace vs. renting-
    packing-driving-unpacking-etc. as quickly as possible (to return
    the u-haul - save $).

With POD's, everything can be done online: order the drop off,
    and pick-up/delivery to...wherever.

I don't recall now if they provide a lock or not. A good Master
    (~$7-$12) will work nicely. Looking back, it's a good idea to surround
    lighter items with heavier ones (so the lighter stuff doesn't fly
    around in transit).

The only 'drawback' to POD's (ymmv, etc.) is having a big ol' box parked
    in your driveway. Snooty neighbors may cast disapproving glances :eyebrow::rolleyes: .

3. MN_Bass

MN_Bass

Sep 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    Cool, I was leaning towards the POD. But then I would miss out on the trucker experience of energy drinks and lot lizards :)

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Unless anything in particular is highly valuable or sentimental, sell it all and buy new in Arizona. If my wife and I end up moving to Maine, that is how we are going to do it.

-Mike

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I used the PODs and it went great. Hired a couple of day laborers to get all my gf's possessions into 3 PODs, got it all done in about two hours. PODs were dropped off at the appointed location at the appointed time, no hassle.

That said, if it was just me and not her, I'd probably take MJ5150's advice there. :)

6. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    Yeah you're not missing anything good. I drove my dads stuff from Anchorage to Sacramento. I have to say 8000 pounds feels like tons after the ALCAN highway and 2 border crossings. If i were you let somebody else do the work and go with the POD idea if you cant sell your stuff.

7. 8000 lbs IS tons. 4 of them...:d

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021