1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Moving up. EBS Classic drome?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hillside_Loafer, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Hillside_Loafer

Hillside_Loafer

Jul 21, 2007
    I'm currently stuck on a small peavey practice amp (20 watts or something lame like that so i NEED a new amp), and i'm thinking about getting an EBS classic drome, in a store here in Sweden they are about 1000 US Dollars. (7500 swedish Krona)
    I've played on them before, and they're pretty amazing IMO, I figure it suits my needs of playing together with a drummer and a couple of guitarists and it can certainly make it on smaller shows since it's loud for its size.

Or should i get a cheaper amp and some effects instead?

I'm pretty clueless as you might tell, don't really know what the best move is right now. So any advice are appriciated.

P.S. i did some searches before, but didn't really find anything conclusive

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    No, get a nice amp first, get effects later. Otherwise your cheap amp might not be able to recreate the effects very well.

3. Yeah, go for the amp first. But, I actually have no experience with the amp your looking at, so it's what sounds good to you. However, I would say get at least a 400 watt amp or you will have to upgrade again.

4. I'm certain that the Classic Drome is a good amp, but I don't think it's quite what you're looking for as it might not be powerful enough to gig with. From what I've heard it's a nice rehersal room amp, and enough for smaller gigs with PA support, but since you're playing with two guitarists and a drummer you might need something with more headroom, even if the Drome gets loud enough. So, if I were you, I'd consider something like a Markbass 121P combo. They may cost a little more than a Classic Drome, but are more powerful than the largest EBS combos, and a lot more flexible than the Drome, for example if you want to use external speakers somewhere down the line. Also, they sound very nice, a bit hitech-y yet warm.

5. Hillside_Loafer

Hillside_Loafer

Jul 21, 2007

yeah i , agree with getting a good amp before effects, becuase a poor amp might not do the effects justice..

to the part of getting a 400 watt before i upgrade again from Art And The Music and Lousybassist. the most i have to say is that i would suit better into the nick of lousybassist than the person who has the name does, i'm not that qualified yet to actually play at any even smaller of medium gig that would require my own backline (since minding the overall quality of the rest of the band that would take quite a while until we reached that level sadly) that's what you get for playing with people who don't practice enough :p

so yeah, playing minor gigs is with my current line-up would mean we'd play with a set back-line anyways. so our practice sessions would still be with the EBS amp regardless, and since i would have to go to a friend who lives in the middle of nowhere about 11 miles (imperial) from here, the combo would be easier to transport than a top and cabinet (yes, i should work in getting a van, goatee and getting plumpy so i can fit into the Bass Confession thread)

but if we were to look soley at combos rather than rigs in the same place class instead then? since space is sadly an issue.

i've seen that Ampeg have some nice Combos in kinda the same prize-range. what is TalkBass opinion of bass combos?
    of course i certainly keep in mind and take in respect the previous posters

6. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    Are you talking about this model, Hillside Loafer?

EBS-drome.

That's about 1,150 Euros in Europe. For that kind of money, you could also get a seperate head and a 1 x 12" cab. Much more versatile, IMO.

In fact, this particular combination (Markbass LMII with Traveler 121H cab) would cost the same, is lighter, is way louder and can be easily upgraded later, with the addition of another cab. It sounds pretty damn good, too ;) .

Just a suggestion!

:meh:

589-MarkbassLittleMarkII6lbs-500w.
    Markbass1x12.
    141-4117_IMG.

7. Even though you're not yet to play gigs where you have to use your own amp, I would advice you to get something as powerful as possible. 150 watts might be enough to be audible most of the time in a rehersal room, but the more power you have, the cleaner your sound will be, even at low volumes. You might even find you don't have to play as loud with a powerful combo as you do with a less powerful one, yet you will still be able to hear yourself well.

And when you say size is an issue, consider that the Markbass combo I mentioned earlier is actually smaller and lighter than the EBS Drone Classic (14 kg vs. 18 kg). Yes, it's a bit more expensive, but it really is more flexible and gigable, yet easy to bring with you on the bus wherever you need to go. This is something very important to me too, as is the space issue, and when I were to buy an amp a few months ago, I ended up with a Markbass Little Mark II head - which is small, sounds great, weighs 3 kg and is incredibly easy to put in a rucksack together with other things you might need for a gig - and a barely used EBS Neo 1x12. It's a simple, light, and easily transported rig that sounds incredibly good. I might want to add another cabinet some day, but for now, what I have fills all my needs, and then some.

8. awagace

awagace

May 31, 2010
    the ebs drome is a great amp! I've used mine for a couple years now and i love it! But as some said you may need a bigger amp for gigs depending on how loud you play. I myself, am planning on buying a new bigger bass rig because the ebs won't handle my band's very loud rehearsals. Still the output is impressive since it's such a small and light-weighted amp.

9. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    +1 on Markbass (121 or head + cab) instead of EBS Drome. I had a Drome (the "real" one, not the cheap Classic) and quickly sold it. The amp section is not as good as the EBS heads, the Eminence speaker is not very good and the then the real one I had is still better than Classic you are looking at.
    I am very satisfied with my LMII amp and the 121 combo is also quite nice. Not as many features as in the EBS Drome, though.

/Alexander