Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

moving up to 8 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Jul 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    hi
    Today i went to mars and played a Washburn 8 string bass...... nice natural finish body and great sound through the SWR redhead amp they had *grins* (wants swr gear now)
    well anyway im thinking about going from a 4 string directly to 8.. but im not sure the washburn is the best bang for the buck.. because i haven't played any other 8 string basses..
    I play mainly punk music.. like older more hardcorish vibe stuff like older husker du, black flag, and some other stuff like mike watt stuff and alot of who stuff...
    then i play progressive stuff like some rush and dream theater and then alot of blues on top of that....
    sorry if i sound like a kid (i am)
    I played a 6 string and found out i didn't like them..... 5 strings felt weird slapping and so i tried an 8 string.. it felt right at home....
    So i was just wondering what are some good 8 string basses under 1000 dollars? if you could assist me with this or give me some suggestions on what to try it would be aprieciated.. I know that the way a bass sounds is different from everyone so im wondering .. what 8 stringers would YOU play?

2. I've never played an 8 string but I know that if you're going into more advanced instruments the cheaper ones cut corners somewhere. If you like that Washburn then go for it. I'm assuming this is American funds. You would do well if you bought used, I think. But an 8 string would need some bells and whistles so if you buy a cheap one they might be sub-par. Kind of like a really cheap, active bass. It's the same concept. Good luck with your search. Another possiblity would be to go north to Canada and take advantage of our terrible dollar. You could get more bang for your buck but I don't know what the taxes would be to bring it across the border. Better look into that one.

3. Is it a 4 string that's doubled? Root and octave strings? If it is, then it's not exactly in the same vein as the 5's and 6's you've tried.

4. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    yeah i know.. what i ment was like i played a 5 and 6 and i didn't like the feeling of them at all and went straight to a 8 string and it felt like home but honestly i couldn't handle like an 8 string like what jt has or anything like that.. its root and octave though..my main complaint about all the 5 and 6s i played is that i didn't like the B and then on the 6s the spacing was too tight......but for some odd reason the 8 string is calling to me.. oh yeah and i bought a roscoe beck blues book and cd lol.. its gravy :D

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Dean makes a nice 8 string under a grand.

6. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    The ESP LTD B-208. Never tried it,but it's in your price range. Features two EMG HZ's and an active EQ system. List price is $750.00 -Luke

7. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Yes the Dean 8 string is nice.

8. The Dean and ESP 8-strings are virtually identical and are produced in the same contract factory. Either would be a great buy. I happen to prefer the ESP's cosmetics, but that's just IMO.

I'm waiting for sub-$1500 10-strings :D

9. or u could allways buy a nice fender under a grand buy a warmoth neck and a new bridge.all in all should be under 800.

10. That's actually not a bad idea. I would trust the Warmoth 8-string neck much more than I would the Dean/ESP one.

Maybe you could find a used MIA or MIJ Jazz and put the 8-string neck on it.

11. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I have the 8 string Dean Rhapsody bass and I am fairly impressed. You can get them for around $450-$500 on ebay (where I got mine NEW).
    The neck is fairly stable and the sound is nice and strong. I have the transparent black over Bubinga (the more rare, but IMHO better looking finish).
    I don't play mine that often, but I do enjoy it when I do.

There are a few weak points:
    1. The pre-amp doesn't really alter the sound too much, but it sounds good enough anyway
    2. The EMG-HZ pickups aren't the best in the world, but they are decent enough to keep.
    3. The headstock is just plain ugly
    4. Kind of heavy....get some straplocks
    5. The control cavity screws are just screwed into the wood and will probably strip out or break the wood over time
    6. The shielding paint is kind of sloppy, but the bass is reasonably quiet

other than that I recommend it. I plan to keep mine as it is.

12. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I've got a Dean Rhapsody 8 too, & I'd agree with most of the comments so far, although through my rig, I find the preamp EQ to have a pretty marked effect. For me, tweaking the knobs makes for some substantial differences. I maybe reading KB's comment #2 wrong though.

Be prepared to hurt your guitarist's feelings though.
    The 8 really barges into their zone. Especially if you dial in some distortion, which I heartily endorse!

It's not bad at all for the $, if you can handle the aesthetics. It does look a little 'different.'

13. I'm selling my Spector so that I can get a Zon Sonus custom 8. I'm going to play that baby through a Big Muff into my SWR rig.

I'm just having trouble deciding if I should get it with frets or without!

From what I hear, those Dean's are nice basses. The rosewood fingerboards don't look all that great though. Seems as if you can really tell the difference between quality grade rosewood.

~Ad

14. Thanks folks. I have had a case of GAS for the Dean, but after reading come of the commentary it's back to a 2-way race 'tween a Hamer and the Schecter Studio Elite 8. I actually thought the Dean would've been a good deal, but the screws not having threaded inserts is an issue for me. Then again, there's always using an octave-up effect, which I believe Zoom has.

15. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I went ahead and went the fretless route. I'll tell you on Saturday if it was a bad idea, or not. :D

[​IMG]

16. Cool! Let me know!
    BTW, how much did that Curbow run you, bassmonkeee?

~Ad

17. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, what I paid is not a true reflection of the prices. I have known him for about 12 years, and this is my 4th Curbow, and we did some experimental stuff on it, too, so I probably couldn't even begin to tell you what I'm actually paying.

Honestly, the easiest thing to do would be to email Greg at greg@curbow.com with what you would want, and he'll give you a quote.

18. Robert Sjea

Robert Sjea

Mar 19, 2008
    St. Louis
    I've got an ESP LTD B-208 but I've never gotten along with the neck, despite an expensive setup job. Too much buzzing and rattling. I don't play aggressively enough to make the most out of this bass. It was a gift from a friend, so I won't sell it and it just sits there.

19. The ZOMBIE awakens!

20. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W' Sconsin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.