Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mozilla firefox question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I installed the Mozilla explorer, and I like it! The problem is, I am still getting spyware/popups on a regular basis on IE. I have adaware se, spybot S&D, CWShredder, and Hijack this as well. Nothing I do keeps the crap from coming back.

Mozilla is my default browser now, but I still get the popups and crap through MS IE. Is it okay to delete IE from my computer now? Will this stop the problems?

Thanks in advance.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    spyware still needs removing. when you get a pop up make note of the domain. search "spyware domain" in google and try to find a cure.

3. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    It is ok, but if you delete IE and for some reason regret deleting it you can always download it again and re-install it ( http://www.microsoft.com ).

4. Are you still using IE? Coz if you are not, you shouldn't get any adware anymore after you have cleaned it.

Oh yeah, start to learn how to use the Tabs feature as well, once you are used to that...you will never look back.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've never tried it but I was under the impression that Microsoft made it so that it's darn near impossible to REALLY delete IE. Maybe I'm wrong.

brad cook

6. Its impossible, unless you are using Windows 98
    http://www.tweakpc.com/98lite.htm

Microsoft became smarter after the courtcase. You can't remove IE "totally" after Windows 98.

7. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    mmmm Tabs. I have about 14 open at the moment.

8. Metallideth

Metallideth

Feb 19, 2004
    Do you have firewall? Because if not, well that could be your problem.

9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    A couple things I was overlooking, I needed badly to get my windows updates I have been putting off, and also I never deleted the files and cookies in IE. Maybe doing so took care of it, time will tell.

Tabs??????

10. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I turned on the firewall in my internet connections through control panel, if that is enough, then yes.

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I only have 5 tabs open...my e-mail, TB, iMusicPro ($36/liftetime unlimited downloads!), my Xanag and my photobucket...

Ray

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm thinking you got ripped off. This service is probably using the same sharing networks as Shareaza or any of the other free networks.

brad cook

13. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah. Sounds like a "legal" way to download, illegaly downloadable music. Not that i'm saying downloading music is wrong :D.

14. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I don't like downloading illegally, and these aren't on those networks actually, and every file is at least 128kbps and virus free. Everything has to be uploaded to them first, and they then scan them and then others can download them. It's really wodnerful, and cheap!

Ray

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    All I'm saying is that if it sounds too good to be true, then it is. The artists aren't seeing royalties from those songs. You may never get sued (I hope you don't) but you are doing a disservice just like some guy who's downloading something from kazaa.

brad cook

16. Well, Firefox will prevent you from getting new spyware, but it's not going to get rid of spyware already on your machine. If you're tried removing the spyware with those programs, and you're having no luck, I don't know what to do other than a reformat. (you'll never have to do that again for the same reason if you don't use IE after it's clean) If hijack this etc aren't working ,you must have some bad spyware. Try locating all of teh unknown running processes under your use name in windows (using ctrl+alt+delete) and deleting them from the drive.

As for deleting IE, it's been said before: it can't be done. Just don't use it- it can't hurt you if you don't touch it.

17. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah. It's pretty much like saying, "I pay for my music, but i'm still ****ing over the artists,". Almost.

18. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Well that's not what I want! I pay to pay the artists really..I kinda thought that that's where the $ from there went, but I guess I kindof knew it wouldn't. Anyone have any suggestons as to where I can go for the things I said, that's not like $0.99 a download (I can't afford that, if I could, I'd buy CDs).

Ray

19. Firewall don't really help in spywares. As long as you can surf the net, you can get spyware.

You are using Firefox without knowing about tabs? Try Ctrl-t, its like a little task bar. And the greatest thing about it, is that you can bookmark all your tabs at one go, so I have a bookmark of
    hotmail, yahoo mail, linuxtoday, talkbass forum under one bookmark, and everyday, I just click on the bookmark, wham, all the tabs I want to visit are opened!

20. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Geeze, I installed it FOR the tabs (and skins) at first...

Ray