Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MP3 Downloads from MP3Sugar.com

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LajoieT, Feb 14, 2006.

1. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I don't get it. Am I missing something? ITunes and other places sell song downloads for $0.99 a song, usually under $10 for a whole album, right?

I was searching for places online to buy a certain CD from and came across MP3Sugar.com. $0.10 per song, $0.99 for the whole album?!?!??!!??

Is this legit? How can the band be getting ANYTHING in compensation at that price????

Here's the album:

http://www.mp3sugar.com/album.dhtml?id=30724&aff=2085

$16 at CDNow:

http://www.ccnow.com/cgi-local/sc_cart.cgi?8906088202776287

$14 at amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1/002-3476084-4753635?s=music&v=glance&n=5174

Even if it were legit, I'd still feel like I was stealing it.

2. It's based in Russia, and have a loophole because of that or some such. Same concept for allofmp3.com (i think that's the url)

3. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I'd be nervous of giving my credit card info! The web site identity is not verified (no certificate available), and I don't see any information about SSL encryption, or evidence of encryption. I say stay clear. Someone more knowledgeable can correct me though.

Emusic.com is cheap, but they don't have a huge selection.

Marshall

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    If it seems to good to be true, it probably is. At minimum you are stealing.

5. I love canada:) we don't have to worry about this stuff.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    What do you mean? No one steals music in Canada?

brad cook

7. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    No, the Canadian courts have basically said it's legal to download music from P2P networks (Kazaa, gnutella, etc.). It's illegal to upload though. Wonder how they split that camel hair?

8. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    just 'cause it's legal, doesn't mean it's right, but that's another topic and P2Ps have been discussed enough. Wasn't aware of this place being from Russia, but I can understand what you're saying about not giving them my CC#s. My main concern is if this place is doing this in cooperation with the bands/lables, and if not than I'm not interested. If they are, I'm wondering how they can possibly offer such cheap downloads (are they low quality? they seem like average 4-5 meg MP3s, so they are probably in the 128-192KB rate, not that bitrate alone tells you the audio quality)

I'm guessing I'm going to stick with the traditional "Mail me a CD" method for now. I'd rather pay $16 for a CD than $10 for a download.