MP3 - from CBR to VBR

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Minger, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Alrite, since I'm almost out of space on my Zen Touch...

I'm just wondering if going from 192 kbps CBR to say, 128-192 kbps VBR will have any noticable difference? Just wondering...
  2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Depends on how good your ears are and how close you're going to be listening. For me and my listening "on the road" it would not be a noticable difference, even with it being re-encoded, but many people have much higher standards in their music files. There will CERTAINLY be a difference in audio quality, which is inevetable in transcoding mp3s (unless you are thinking about re-encoding from the original source material (CD?) but if you're using an inexpensive set of ear buds or headphones, or listening in the car with a lot of ambient road noise, it will probably not be noticable.

I use a freeware ap called dbPowerAmp to transcode my mp3's. It's great for taking the 320kb files I keep on my PC as archives and downsampling them to whatever is neccessary to fit whatever amount of music I'm looking to cram onto one CD for my car's mp3 CD player.
  3. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I was actually planning on using DBPowerAmp.

That and maybe its a bad idea - considering that even the difference between 128 and 192 is pretty big for me, it may just be a waste.