Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MP3, Kazaa, 'Piracy'

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brooks, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
  2. (tried the link and got a picture of a car)

What do I think...

MP3 - audio quality is typically horrid due the nature of an MP3 (compressed audio) file. No comparison to actual CD's or even a well-produced vinyl LP (with a good cartridge, nice turntab... oh, that's another story.)

Piracy - CD's always have been and always will be overpriced.... I buy used cd's mostly, and only download once in awhile.

Kazaa - I kazaa and my friends kazaa. MP3 for free... well, you get what you pay for I guess.

3. It's one of those @#$%&@%$^% pages that makes you watch ads before you can read the page. :spit::mad: The car ad goes away after a few seconds...

I've seen the article before so I didn't bother to read all five pages this time, but it's a very interesting read.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, the industry has been hurt. mostly the mid level bands have been feeling it, sometimes in tour support, since sales are how they determine how much tour support an act is going to get.

5. This is true. Notice, though, that independent labels haven't spoken up very loudly--high-profile Chicago indies like Kranky and Thrill Jockey sell virtually every record they press and have minimal overhead (Thrill Jockey operates off its owner's kitchen table), and they need every bit of exposure they can get. Unlike with major-label acts, the likelihood of most indie bands' recods being purchased is 0 to begin with, so there's no revenue loss from file sharing.

Like I've said previously, if you're not selling 250,000 units (probably the absolute bare minimum to even be signed to a major in the first place), MP3s have a better chance of increasing your ticket sales than harming your record sales. It's the 250,000+ acts that get hurt by MP3. I don't think the ones between 250k and platinum even lose that much in record sales--it's that they get axed because MP3s reduce sales of the platinum-sellers.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I generally buy CD's anyway, for the artwork, etc. I don't believe the RIAA speaks much truth at all though.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    As a signed artist, I too, am skeptical of some of the spin that the RIAA puts on things, but I have to admit that JT is dead on. As for downloading, I normally get "out of print" stuff and live boots. I dl'ed "U2 - Live in Boston" for the missus the other night.

8. you obviously haven't heard my rips :D

9. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, I agree. I have downloaded stuff that can't be purchased.

10. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I thought I would comment on this. It just so happens that producer/engineer John Hampton(Stevie Ray Vaughan, BB King, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Travis Tritt, Soundgarden++) CAme to my school and talk about many things. When asked about what he forsaw as what was going to be big in music in the next ten years he said that much to his dismay, pop artists such as Brittney Speres ect would probable be big. How he justified this that record companies are not making as much money off of cds as they used to due to people downloading music. Because of that the record companies are looking for cheaper ways to make record, and pop arts are that way, you essentially have a vocalist, a drum machine, and a synth and your set. No band to pay, just a quike easy to make source of cash.

I thought this was interesting, and makes some sense in a sick kind of way.

11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I have to agree with SMASH here, that makes little sense.

12. Anyone catch the Doonesbury cartoon's take on MP3 piracy? Without record sales, the industry will evolve into a fragmented, grass-roots, concert-driven industry.

That's good if you're the touring kind of artist but really sucks if you don't want to spend your entire life on the road.

13. Being a musician used to mean that you spent your entire life on the road. The studio-only act is a recent anomaly that probably will cease to exist within the next decade in all fields but electronica.

14. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    that's sweet. unless you're old and have already paid your dues on the road, get your ASS out on the road and play some shows!

15. "The business of the musician is music. The business of the professional musician is business." -- Robert Fripp

16. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    The Beatles did it thirty-five odd years ago :D

17. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    At this year's sound convention in NY, one rather well known producer challenged the "golden ears" of the industry on this. He took a wav file and an mp3 file of the same tune and edited them together, at various points in the song so that it was alternating mp3/wav/mp3/wav, etc. He then challenged anyone to tell the difference (on state of the art, high end gear, BTW). He made it easier by telling them that he started with mp3 and the edits occurred at musical phrase points.

Nobody got it right.....

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    he says as dgm falls into bankruptcy. :(

19. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Interesting and, I have to say, not entirely surprising. I do most of my music listening at work, and the main difference between CD and MP3 is that a CD might hold ten songs while a disk of MP3's can hold ten or twenty times that amount.

That's running through a computer, into a pair of relatively inexpensive headphones, so it's not high end gear, and I haven't tried a direct comparison (between the same track as wav and MP3 or even original cd and MP3) but I'm happy enough with MP3 as a music distribution that I've signed up for a year's subscription with Emusic.com (a month and a half in, I've already got more albums than I brought throughout all last year but at a fraction of the price).

BTW, I enjoyed the original article from Salon magazine - I hope more people involved in the music business get hold of this kind of thinking.

Wulf

20. You obviously haven't heard your rips with my ears:p

(just messin with ya, DHC!! :D)

You got good quality rips? Cool....would you be willing to share your secret, or what works well for you?:confused: