mp3 or .wav? Which is more efficient?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mario Lewis, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I'm just starting to get into making my own discs and I'm curious to know which format will get me the most music on a disc? I want to say that mp3 will but I rally have no idea!! Can someone show me a site that will give me the details!!!

2. You will fit approx. 10 times more data onto a CD in .mp3 format than you would .wav

Well, actually, it all depends on the compression rate you use when creating the mp3. But at 128kbps, this should hold true, while still retaining near-CD quality.
  3. If you are putting original recordings on the cd, you would probably want to use a higher quality mp3 such as 192 as a minimum. But if it is just music, 128 as a minimum is a good bit rate.
  4. Probably needless to say, normal CD players can't play MP3s, most DVD players can.

So if you're sending out demos, use the standard CDA format, which results from recorded WAV-files.
  5. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I have a collection of over 3000 CD's. Some I bought just for one song!!! But I want to put the ones I like on compilations for ease of access. one or two here and there, and some of thoe and 5 of those, and BOOM there's the CD I want to make. But with a 650-700 MB CD, shouldn't I be able to get A LOT of mp3's on there? A regular CD that takes up 625 or so MB's wil be, what....25-30 MB in MP3 format?? Where is the conversion rate/ratio?
  6. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Just remember you loose close to 90% of the "quality" of a recoriding when sending it to .MP3....pretty amazing..I can varely tell.
  7. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    WOW! really? That definatly shows there's a law of diminishing returns!...

I can't tell that much of a diffrence either...
  8. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Could you have this backwards? Could it be that an mp3 only sounds 90% as good as an original recording?? A loss of 90% of the quality makes me think that a once good ersion of Peel Me A Grape could sound like it's coming over a less than crummy AM radio station.
  9. I've never had the problem, or known anybody who did.

If you are burning off of your computer (and not a recorder), you can't burn .wav or .midi files.

So there's your solution. :)
  10. there seems to be lots of confusion here.

IF you are planning to make cds to play in an audio cd player, then you need to burn them from .wav. some burning programs automatically convert mp3 to wav before they burn.

IF you want data on a cd to insert into your computer and play the music ON YOUR COMPUTER, then go with mp3s because they are much smaller and you will fit more of them on a cd.

which is it, mario?
  11. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I'm gonna get one of those iPod type mp3 players. Actually I'm lookinga the eDigital treo 15. Essentially it is a 15 GB HD with an mp3 players imbedded within.

As I saud, I have an extensive CD collection. I'd like to put the songs that I really like on the Treo 15. But how do I get them from the disc that I bought in the store into MP3 format? I have Nero Burner that came with a portable RipGo mini CD burner. But it recommends that files be transferred into .wav format to get more on the mini cd's. So why is that?

I essentially want to get the most onto a cd and I thought that mp3 was the best, but the Nero ROM application threw me for a loop.

In addition, call the napster police because I've become a KaZaa junkie, and I'd like to put a lot of the gems I've found on there onto a CD as well. But in what format??

Is there an application that is better suited for this kind of stuff? One that I might find on KaZaa? I know, ethically unsat, but I'm on a budget.

12. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    wait wait wait.....

When you are making a regular audio CD that you can listen to in any old cd player, it takes your mp3's, and converts them into .aiff or.wav depending on whether you have a mac or PC. (.AIFF is mac, .WAV is PC)
    When making a regular audio cd (80 minutes or so) it ALWAYS converts your mp3 files to .wav or .aiff, your limit for how many songs isnt how much space it takes up, its how long your song is

but if you are making an mp3 cd, which is only played in certain mp3 players and dvd players as already said, you want to encode them in mp3. this way you can put as many songs on as the cd's space will hold (around 700 mb)

hope this clears, and not muddies the water:)

13. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I don't think I am using quality as it should be...loss of date..thats what I am looking for.

It takes away all of the date of things you don't hear...such as really high and really low frequencies.
  14. not even close. mp3's suck if you actually want to listen to the music in it's purist form. i guess mp3's are alright if you aren't actually listening to the music, like while driving or doing some other task... but there is a noticible drop in quality even at higher bitrates than 128...
  15. somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but you don't need a CD for an ipod. you hook it to your computer and load the mp3s in. why don't you talk to a service guy at best buy to clear things up?

as for andy_beckett, he clearly hasn't heard a decently ripped mp3. btw, just because the number is higher than 128 doesn't mean it's better quality.
  16. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I refer you to something Pacman said in another thread...

17. that is absolutely true. I have over 20 GB of music in my computer, and good speakers. with an MP3 at 192kbps, and an original cd, I can hear no difference.

and for the original question, connect the ipod to your computer(probably through an USB port), and read the manual.

I'm pretty sure it's an UP, which can be solved if you RTFM. ;)

18. Ryan K

Ryan K

Dec 11, 2002
    New Jersey
    mp3's are much smaller because they eliminate all of the frequencies of sound that human ears cant hear. Sounds like a good idea...not so sure if its true...
  19. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    well.... the way that you get songs from a disc to the mp3 player works like this. Say that your bass is the mp3. right now, your bass is at home, and you want to get it to the studio. you cant jsut zap it to the studio, it has to put somewhere that can be used to transport the bass. so you put it into your car (your computer)

ok.... so you must upload or "rip" the songs that you want off of the cd's into your computers hardrive. you can do this with many programs, but i reccomend iTunes, which works flawlessly with the ipod. (This is only available for very nice computers, the ones made by macintosh)

other programs that i reccomend are windows media player, toast, and nero, all of which work fairly well. As long as it has a way to find out the names of your songs via hooking up to the CDDB (CD data base) Most programs should work ok.

lets go back to iTunes......
    iTunes is arguably the best music software for ripping, burning, organizing and listening to mp3s out there.

so what are you waiting for??? go out and buy yourself a mac if you dont already have one!!!

so, the solution to your problem is to buy a mac. case closed.

20. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    There's no company called Macintosh that makes computers... :rolleyes: