1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

mp3 player = MAIN MUSIC SOURCE

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mr. BassmanPT, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    i am looking to replace my 8GB sony walkman (nwz series) because i think it is too small to fit all my music in there. when i bought it, i thought 8GB were more than enough for my needs.. i was wrong!

i use this mp3 player like my main music source as it is connected to my sound system. it has a really nice sound quality so the replacement must be at least as good as this one!

what am i looking to replace it?

i want at least 32GB of capacity so i can store everything i want in there. i also want this portable mp3 player to have a remote control so each time i want to change music, i don't have to get up and change it in the device.

i already made some search and found out 2 possibilities.

another walkman from sony (32GB) or an ipod classic from apple (160GB). the thing is, i wasn't able to find a remote controller for either of them..

can anyone here help me? regards

2. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    no one?

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I have the 160. I really like it because it holds near everything you'd want...

...but (there's always a but)...

...its so big that you'll find its very hard to ratchet your way through your collection to get to what you want...it's a lot of scrolling from a to z.

Also, Apple doesn't make the 160 any more. You can get the 120 or try to find a new old stock 160. (edit...I see they've come to their senses and DO make the 160 again...

4. Buy the 64 gig iTouch.

lowsound

5. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    ive gone through four ipods (had warranty, so i guess its not that bad). the hdd went out every time. my 80gb i have now is fine, and hasnt broken in a year or so. ive also got a shuffle. despite me hating apple with every ounce of my being, they make a fine mp3 player, and i know you can get a remote thatll work with a docking station of some sort.

that said...

i never thought id say this, but go with a zune. im not sure if its out yet, but it is confirmed that the zune will be riding on the nvidia tegra platform, and that it will be the baddest mp3 player ever made (oh... and insane battery life and 720p video).

here are a couple links:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/19/zune-hd-has-a-tegra-processor-confirms-official-zune-podcast/

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=121095

i dont know how long you can wait, but im fairly certain they will be out before the end of the year.

6. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    i read that in the new models it is easier to find what you want.. and yes, i believe apple started selling the new 160GB in the latest September

what is the benefit of the iTouch when comparing with the classic? from what i know it is more expensive and has a smaller drive.. if it is for the touch screen it isn't a selling point for me because i want to control it with a remote. but i am not really aware of these ipods, maybe it is better tan the classic in other ways so i will be appreciated if you pint me some features.

maybe you were using the ipods with shuffle? i read that shuffle makes the hard drive spin a lot. if you play with continuous play, the next music is loaded in the memory and it is easier for the hard drive. when using shuffle, the drive needs to rotate in order to go to the next music, causing wear. that is what i read though! about the zune, it has features i will not use, i really just need an mp3 player. besides, i always run away from microsoft products :ninja:

yes, i think the ipod is my better choice:bag:

about those docks, do you know any one that is just for the remote? i do not want the ipod to be continuously charged because it will kill the battery because this ipod will be my main music source.

7. Guaranteed that apple has something out to smash the new zune by the time the zune is out. 720p is rather useless on a screen that small, but a good marketing idea.

lowsound

8. TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    i only champion the zune based on the battery life. ive had no, i repeat NO SUCCESS getting converted files on my 80gb video ipod. none. zero. none. i repeat: none.

if you want to watch mr stweart or colbert on an ipod. good effin' luck bro. i got gooooooooooooooooood conversion software. i got it all. i dont use itunes. i promise you it wont work. i use the best software. it wont work for me unless im an idiot. only p me if you know what is better. its not going to be LLegal (not misspelllllled).

now i gotta get back to mnf- later.

9. Wise words. In the UK there are plenty of docks with remote control for an Ipod, with stuff compatible with the classic from £25 inc remote from cambridge audio, or £40 for an onkyo, up to £100 or so for something that'll handle the touch or iphone. Please excuse poor capitalisation, am on my lunch and typing one handed... No jokes please.

10. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Try, then buy whichever works best for you. Just like computers. Just like basses and amps.

There is no best option for everyone.

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

I think the iPods, when used with a dock of some sort, has remote control abilities. Creative may be another brand. Both make high capacity players.

12. Sizlack

Sizlack

Aug 17, 2009
    Dallas, TX.
    If you have a windows machine, buy an xbox 360 and network them together.
    I run mine into the 600W surround sound in the living room, and have my entire HDD worth of music to access via my Xbox, wireless controllers and all.

13. TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    actually my shuffle has been fine. its one of the tiny ones, and its never had issues. i had problems with the older black and white ones and the 80gb video ones. my theory is that loading music on, then off, then filling it to capacity messes up the hard drive. i use anapod to manage my files, and its been great. i fried five of them when i used itunes. maybe just a coincidence?

i will admit the ipod is a great mp3 player, and maybe the new zune is a little over the top, but i thought id throw that out on the table as an option.

as for the docking station, my parents have one with a remote. they got it at the apple store, and thats in thailand, so i bet there are more options here. do you want a stand alone unit, like with speakers built in? or do you want something that just feeds into a receiver or stereo aux port? my brother has a real really cool one that is a docking station and has speakers, and also works as an alarm clock. it can do ac power or run off batteries. i will ask him what model or brand it is, because its really slick; you might like it.

14. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    bought the 160 GB ipod with a logic3 dock, coudn't be more satisfied.. the capacity is astonishing, the sound is amazing and i have the remote control function.

thanks for all your comments.

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    All iPod models are now made with flash memory, so no worries about a hard drive failure.

I'm on my second iPod Nano... lost the first one, a 2nd gen. Bought a 4th gen. to replace it and use it every day driving back and forth from work and at work to drown out noise.

I stand 100% behind any Apple product because I've had several with no issues:
    iPod Nano (2nd Gen), MacBook, iPhone 3G, iPod Nano (4th Gen) and a 13" MacBook Pro, not to mention the two Nano's and a Shuffle I gave as gifts. There's a good reason they're the #1 MP3 player in the world.

An iPod with a docking station is a great idea... I do this but you still have to flip through the menus. However, a lot of times I'll hook up my Macbook Pro to my sound system, and use my iPhone as a remote control to change songs anywhere that I'm in range of my wireless network. It's a pretty awesome setup.

16. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    my 160 GB classic has a hard drive.. the higher capacity you can have at the moment with flash memory are 32GB i believe.