Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MP3 player: the best or what to avoid?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JimS, Jun 14, 2004.

1. I was going to get aniPOD but just got a Creative Labs Nomad 30Gb at Best Buy. I had heard iPOD batteries are prorietary and a pita to replace and the hard drive can have problems. But this is hearsay if not rumor. I can still return the Creative Labs for another brand.
    • I don't have Firewire on my PC.
    • This is to make lists of songs to run to and also to play through my stereo or other stereo.
    • I don't need Palm Pilot like capabilities.
    • User friendly is most important.

So, your input is appreciated.

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I have researched this a fair bit and there really isnt a right answer:

Ease of use = Ipod
    Cheapest = Creative Nomad
    Features = iRiver IHP-120/140

I just depends on what is right for you. However check out the news item on the TB Homepage (shameless plug) about the new release of the Creative Zen Touch - looks to be a much better iPod competitor than the Nomad. That said, I hear the next gen ipod is just around the corner!

3. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    well... here goes.... the nomad, IMO is not all that great of an mp3 player. if you have the money to do it, get the iPod for these reasons. I have not found another mp3 player with the same user-friendliness that the iPod has. It syncs FLAWLESSLY with iTunes, where you can make all sorts of playlists. The iPod will work using USB, if i am not mistaken, and the battery problem, though present, as with all Li+ batteries, is not as big as www.ipodsdirtysecret.com says it is. you can buy third party batteries for around 30 bucks, and you can replace them yourself w/o any technical know how. to play through your stereo, just get a stereo 1/8 jack to two RCA jacks (you can pick this up at any radioshack for around 5-6 bucks) The iPod is small, light and totally sweet looking, while the Nomad is huge, heavy, and looks like buttholes.

basically what i am saying is... iPod is the best in my opinion... but if you really dont want to get it for some reason... just get any other mp3 payer than that... the nomad is the worst hard drive player out there.... (IMO :p )

happy hunting!
    slicks

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    iRivers are pretty nice. I had one.

5. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I don't think it can get any better than an iPod. I'm one of the most anal people about sound quality, and I'm so happy with my iPod. Don't worry about the battery, I remember that being a 1st generation issue. I've had mine for 6 months so far, dropped it many times from 5 ft onto concrete without a case, and it still works perfectly. I've charged it ALOT-at least once/2 days, and it still holds a charge beautifully. The only gripe is that the Pre-Set EQ's tend to distort it, but it sounds amazing with no EQ.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'll second the iRiver recommendation, I was an Archos user from their first 6gb model to the 20gb recorder. But the iRiver is very nice, the 40gb capacity and long battery life make it ideal for me.
    I do miss the developer community from Archos, they reverse engineered their players and developed their own software for it which was better than the shipped firmware.

7. Thanks guys. Money is NOT an issue here.

I'll look into it a bit more but I appreciate your input on iPOD's user friendliness. My two sons, ages 9-1/2 and 12-1/2 have them and love them.

I think I may be returning to exchange for an iPOD.

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    1) do a search.
    2) I think, and many tech mags/sites agree, that the Creative has better sound. I've used an iPod and own then Zen and don't agree that the Zen isn't user friendly. A monkey with a fork in it's brain could use it.

9. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    The Zen is great. I have the same 30gb model, and have been consistently impressed. It's fully tweakable and customizable. Maybe if you don't know much about computers you should get an iPod, but my Zen is perfect. Better sound quality than an iPod also. That was the deal breaker for me. Creative knows their sound better than apple.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I like my Nike PSA.

-Mike

11. Are there any mp3players with enough juice to power decent headphones? I've tried a few cheap 128mb (flash)models, the ipod and the nomad. None of them sounded good, except when I plugged them into my amplifyer, with the phones they where weak and tinny(when I ran throug my amp using it's headphoneamp it sounded good).

Oh yeah, I used a pair of Sennheiser HD465's for testing, so the phones shouldn't be the problem

12. Well I'm like a monkey without the fork in the brain so maybe I'll stick with what I've got. (BTW, great line "...fork in brain" :) ) I'm not a total computer 'tard so it's doable.

13. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    i own a creative zen xtra 40gb. i think its fantastic. i gto mine fore £140 gbp less that the 40 gb ipod. it has all the features i need. sure its bigger than the ipod, but i dont find that to be a problem. i will agree that the ipod is cooler, with the heat sensitive buttons etc. but the creative is very easy to use, the softwear i have found very easy to use. plus you can easily replace the battery, its actually designed for you to be able to. the battery life is brilliant.

in short i love my creative and would choose it again over the ipod. the only reason i could think of to buy the ipod is that it looks great. but i find there is nothing i would want my creative to do that it doesn't.
    (all my opinions, and may not be for you, i hope you find the right unit for you)

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im more than happy with my iPod. If you have concerns about batery issues, I could get you some links with more info.

15. my friend has an iPod, and it's awesome!!

you should get one!!!

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

16. Thanks for your input. :)

17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Well, I was trying to grasp the flavour of my usual state of mind.;)

18. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I like my phillips HDD100. its an ipod beater for sure.

I dont know why folks buy the ipod, other than the extensive marketing thats gone into making it "cool," when a more truthful description would be "crap"

19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Hmmm... even if yours is better I wouldnt call the iPod crap. I cant think of any reasons to.

Why would you call it that?

20. You should also consider Sony MD players, they rock! IPods are definatley awesome too.