Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mp3 recorders for live recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by davizao, Aug 7, 2005.

1. davizao

davizao

Dec 21, 2002
    Anybody using mp3 recorders for live recording on gigs? I've got a cheap one ("Gigafast") with no level control-worthless to set it on the bandstand. I know people who've used IRiver, Archos, and IPod (with an attachment). Everybody has some complaint or other. I've also considered mini-disc, but I'd rather have something that talks to a computer better.

Thanks! Davizao (David Jernigan).

2. what we've done, it wasnt really live, but use the headphone output from the PA mixer to the input of the mp3 player

it had alot of background hiss, and only recorded on one channel (as we knew it would) , so you only got it out of one headphone, but sorted that out on the PC anyway

3. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I have a NetMD mini disc player/recorder that has a mic input and I have found it to be awesome. The cradle that is hooked up to the computer makes it very easy to get the music off the recorder. For the mic input I just use a cheap stereo mic, like the kind that hooks up to a computer. It's great for mic'ing the room's acoustics.

I have also found this to be the best way to record free-form jams for song-writing purposes. Just a thought.

4. millard

millard

Jul 27, 2004
    SoCal
    I'll second the MD player/recorder. Just about the best equipment investment I've made. Goes to every practice and most gigs. In general, we just turn it on and let it record everything, just in case we cook up something that we can't "find" later. Happens a lot more often than I would have expected.

It makes it really easy to run the basics of a song without vocals so that singer can work on different wordings and phrasings. It's not the most user-friendly device ever (at least with mine, I have to essentially play back the segment and record it into the computer, which means I have to listen to the practice and find the segment), but it is darn good at what it does.

Millard

5. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    How exactly to you go from MD to your computer?

I have the blue MD and the only way I know of to go from MD to computer is to go analog out of the MD into the AUX analog input on my computer's sound card and use software to record the analog source digitally.

I haven't been able to us the Optical or USB ports on the MD to output a signal. I think that they are only inputs.

It would be really sweet if I could use the USB to get music from MD to CPU.

6. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
  7. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I use an old Creative Nomad Jukebox 3. It's fabulous for live recording because:

-They're cheap and on ebay all the time.
    -They have both analog copper and optical digital inputs, so you can take a feed off of a digital mixing board (for instance) if you have the need.
    -You can pull the data off as a stereo WAV file via Firewire 400 and do further processing in software.
    -Although it's not new enough to do 24 bit, it will do DAT quality (16 bit/48kHz) as well as CD quality and various bitrates of mp3 for "sketchpad tracks" that don't take up gobs of space.
    -Two line out jacks.

For show recording I will usually take a couple small diaphragm condensers and put one up on either side of the soundboard. Those will run into a FMR RNP and from there the signal goes to the line in port of the Nomad.

8. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    That sounds sweet. I'll have to look into the Nomad.

9. bad_andy

bad_andy

Sep 21, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    This just came out at Sweetwater.com

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MicroTrack

M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96 Features:

* 2-channel WAV and MP3 recording and playback for pro
    * recording, meetings, training, education and worship
    * Storage via convenient CompactFlash or micro drives
    * Immediate drag-and-drop file transfer to PC and Mac via USB 2.0 mini connector.
    * Powered via USB, rechargeable lithium-ion battery (included) or optional power supply.
    * separate left and right input level controls with signal and peak indicators.
    * Professional balanced 1/4" TRS inputs with mic/line switch.
    * Dual microphone preamps with phantom power for studio microphones.
    * 1/8" TRS input with 5V power for use with stereo electret microphone (microphone included).
    * S/PDIF coaxial input for digital transfers.
    * Monitoring via RCA line outputs or 1/8" stereo headphone output.
    * Stereo output level control.
    * Large LCD for navigation and statistics.
    * Dedicated buttons for navigation, record, hold, pause, delete, menu, and power.
    * Includes Audacity software for editing and file format conversion 64 MB CompactFlash card included.
    * Compatibility: WAV, MP3
    $399

10. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    bad_andy, you da Man!

I'm gettin' one. Thanks for the info.