1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MP3 slowdown software?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Hi,
    I'm trying to learn how to play Jeff Lorber's Surreptitious and I'm having a tough time with figuring out the keyboard line that I'm supposed to double.Usually I can hears stuff eventually but this one has me stumped. So I'm wondering if there is any MP3 slow down software available ( hopefully freeware). I tried something in the past but it didn't work very well.Maybe there is a newer program. Any recommendations?

2. I use what tdub said. It's not free, but works with mp3's well.

3. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    There are plug-ins for Winamp that will slow down playback. One is called Pacemaker, and I believe the other is called Chronotron. Don't know how they compare to the program above in sound quality, but they're free.

4. MDFreeze

MDFreeze

Jan 27, 2009
    DFW, Texas
    Windows Media Player has a slow down feature that works really well.

5. the amazing slow downer is really good

6. I tried Pulse master, Song Surgeon, and the Amazing Slowdowner, which I like best so far.
    When slowed down, the MP3s sound quite a bit better than with the previous two.
    One Question:When I do a tempo or a pitch change and i want to reset back to where the original recording is, is there a hotkey for that?
    I absolutely need the hotkeys.I don't like fiddling with the mouse when i'm trying to learn a lick.I also need a very quick responsive 5 second rewind. The slowdowner seems to be good there as well. 50.- seems steep but unless there's another recommendation I'll spring for it.It'll be worth it in the long run.

7. alangoldstein

alangoldstein

Jul 23, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    Endorsments: Aguilar, Hartke, DR strings, Analysis Plus "Oval" Cables
    i read your post. i think quicktime does it. one of the progs i have slows down the song without screwing the pitch up

8. I have used Winamp for practicing for a long time. You need two plug-ins: Pacemaker and LoopMaster. The Pacemaker plug-in works great for 2 things. First, you can slow down a song without changing the pitch to learn a difficult part. It will also let you shift the pitch if necessary so you can practice a song that is in dropped tuning (down 1/2 step or whole step) without re-tuning your bass. Loopmaster lets you set an A-B repeat and loop a specific part of a song. You can combine both to loop and slow down a difficult part.

9. I posted this before... but I can always post it again!

I prefer Audacity. Just Google it. VERY popular and free. In addition, when you get used to it you can also do things like isolate the low frequencies as well as loop sections.

It is the tool I use to learn ANY new song! It has some nice FFT (Google that too...) functions already in it that allows a lot of advanced functionality. It also works in Linux... nice.

Lemme know if you have any questions.

Ox.

10. I just downloaded Audacity.Pretty complex program. Doing the slowdown is cumbersome and it does not seem to have hotkeys.
    As a a wave editor i'm sure it's good but for what i want to use it for it seems wrong.

11. jweiss

jweiss Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Park City, Utah
    The best software that I have used for this task, by far, is "Transcribe!".

http://www.seventhstring.com/

I have tried several of the others mentioned in this thread (Amazing Slow Downer, Audacity, Windows Media Player).

12. mTrax is pretty good

13. +1

14. Greyfin10

Greyfin10

Sep 16, 2008
    Panama City, FL
    I've been using Guitar & Drum Trainer lately (http://renegademinds.com/). It's got quite a few features I like (purpose built for what we are talking about, with a looping feature than progressively speeds up the replay over a preset time period) and a pitch shifter. However, even though it has all that functionality in an easy to use package, I have to say it's proven to be rather buggy (crashing, slow on a rather powerful machine, with intermittent crashes and hangs).

So, I'm quite tempted to use the Winamp + plugins methodology mentioned earlier, simply because of how bullet-proof Winamp has been for me in the past. May be a bit more cumbersome, but I suspect I'll be happier.

I agree that while Audacity is a super program, it's a bit like killing a mosquito with a shotgun in this case. Great program that you should keep anyway though (a Swiss Army knife).

15. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    This is what I use for school projects when I'm an idiot and put it off until the day before it's due.
    It's AMAZING

16. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I use IRehearse. Its really similar to the Amazing Slow Downer and does everything you need.

17. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    The following keyboard shortcuts are available:

Speed:

· F5: Increase speed with 10%
    · Shift F5: Decrease speed with 10%
    · F6: Increase speed with 1%
    · Shift F6: Decrease speed with 1%
    · F7: Increase speed with 0.1%
    · Shift F7: Decrease speed with 0.1%
    · F8: Set speed to 100%

Pitch:

· F2: Detune +1 semitone
    · Shift F2: Detune -1 semitone
    · F3: Detune +1/100th of a semitone
    · Shift F3: Detune -1/100th of a semitone
    · F4: Reset all detuning

Volume:

· Numeric Keypad +: Increase volume
    · Numeric Keypad -: Decrease volume

Playback Control:

· Q: Previous Track
    · W: Next Track
    · P: Play CD
    · Numeric Keypad 0: Pause/Continue
    · Backspace: Restart from beginning
    · R: Refresh CD (Read Table of Contents)

Karaoke:

· M: Toggle Karaoke mode on/off
    · A: Move Karaoke slider left
    · S: Move Karaoke slider right
    · F: Decrease bass pass-through range
    · G: Increase bass pass-through range
    · J: Decrease treble pass-through range
    · K: Increase treble pass-through range