1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MP3/WAV file editing program

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by GRAHAM SG1, Jan 24, 2012.

1. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

May 3, 2010
    I am looking for a good and free Windows based editing program so we can make a demo from my recordings with a Zoom H1, can anyone please recommend one

Thanks

2. I use Audacity on my netbook to edit files from my H2. It's kind of a pain, but it's free. I use Sonar when I'm on my PC.

3. Nightsun

Nightsun

Dec 22, 2006
    Essex, UK
    +1 for audacity

4. +2 Audacity is very powerful and it comes with a crap load of plug-ins (EQ, bass booster, normalizer, compresor, reverb, echo, crossfader, reverser, vocoder, vocal remover, pitch shifter, tremelo, change speed, change tempo) just to name a few.
    If you have 4 tracks it will mix down into a 2-track stereo mix.

5. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

May 3, 2010
    Thanks guys, firstly I just need to remove all the between songs stuff then I can focus on making them sound good enough for a demo .
    Having seen the prices for studios I think the Zoom H1 and a suitable program will save a lot of cash while giving a pretty good quality recording . :)

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Audacity is a great free audio editing tool. Can also convert Wav and Flac files to Mp3's.

7. billostech

billostech

Mar 27, 2010
    Michigan
  8. AlvarHanso

AlvarHanso

Jun 20, 2011
    I use CDWav for splitting tracks, and then edit them soundwise in Audacity. Not sure if CDWav is still free, but I've had it for over a decade, and it is by far the easiest program for splitting tracks. It may take me a little longer, but instead of exporting to mp3 from Audacity, I always export as wav, and then use Trader's Little Helper to encode to flac and mp3.

9. spigmu

spigmu

Mar 25, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Many portable recorders come bundled with free Lite versions of recording programs. Not sure about the H1 but at one point some Zooms were bundled with a Cubase app of this kind (IIRC) Sometimes these can be very worth using over other free alternatives.

10. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    Another vote for Audacity, it's free, easy to use and has plenty of decent effects and utilities.

11. derg

derg Supporting Member

May 26, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    another Audacity fan here... you can do a lot of things with it.

12. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

May 3, 2010
    Thanks all, I am going to try Audacity, will report back later

13. Audacity.

Please file bug reports if you find problems so it could be improved.

14. Curmei

Curmei

Dec 29, 2008
    Another Audacity reccomendation here. I use Sonar X1 when doing recordings in my studio, but when I just want to edit something on my laptop quickly, Audacity does a great job. I can also keep on my Mac, Linux and Windows machines, without cost. Someone else mentioned SoundForge and that is a good program, as well, but I don't think there is a free version available - not that I am aware of, anyway.

Good luck.

15. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

May 3, 2010
    I have been messing about with some recordings using Audacity and have come to the conclusion that I know sweet FA about it :D
    I will keep using trial and error and adjusting a small bit at a time, I have used a bit of compression and the leveller on some tracks which has made some difference, time will tell .:)