1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TRADED MPG Level 5 Spalted Maple LIGHTWEIGHT 5 string

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by ScarfFace, May 14, 2017.

1. ScarfFace

ScarfFace Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2014
    La Crosse WI
    Price:
    $850
    Strings:
    IMG_3081.JPG IMG_3082.JPG IMG_3083.JPG IMG_3084.JPG IMG_3085.JPG IMG_3086.JPG IMG_3087.JPG IMG_3088.JPG IMG_3082.JPG Here is a bass that might be familiar to a few people on here. It's had a few owners. I will link a few previous for sale threads so you can get some history on it.

For Sale - MPG level 5 - matt pulcinella
    SOLD - MPG Level 5 - Spalted Maple Goodness
    No longer available - Feeler: MPG Level 5
    SOLD - MPG Level 5 - A lightweight Stingray killer!

As I understand, the bass passed hands quite often when it had the original Bartolini pickup in it. A couple owners ago, the Bart was switched out for a Delano Musicman style pickup and a Stingray preamp which really opened it up. This bass sounds like a fancy Stingray.
    This is the prettiest bass I own and it's one of the lightest. Lighter than all of my 4 strings except my Hofners.
    The way the upper horn reaches out makes this bass feel like 32" scale, when it is actually a 34" scale. AND as far as 34" scale 5 strings go, the B on this one is really tight!

There are a few dings and I tried to capture them in pictures. Honestly, because of the Spalt, they are really hard to see. The fretboard has gorgeous Birdseye! Neck is perfect.

I'm only selling because this a 5 String. I bought it for a cover band I auditioned for that does a lot of modern country. I didn't get the gig and now I only play my p bass.

For trades, I'm looking for a lakland skyline Hollowbody, maybe another P Bass, or maybe a fretless of some sort.

G RICH 5, seang15 and rojo412 like this.
  2. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I was the original owner of this one. It originally had a bart preamp and Basslines Alnoco MM pickup. Swapped it out for a Bart, which was a mistake. Wouldnt mind having it back.

ScarfFace likes this.
  3. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    PM Sent!

4. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Seriously, this bass is killer! I did the Delano/MM swap and it made this bass so much better.
    MPGs are really kind of a sleeper in the bass world. The construction, feel, and sound is really amazing for the price. I honestly feel that these will be quite prized in the future when people realize just how good they really are.

GLWTS, this thing is a super-light boutique beast.

5. ScarfFace

ScarfFace Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2014
    La Crosse WI
    Going out to NY today!