Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MPG Level 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scott D, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hey, I'd like some more info about these. It might possibly be my next bass. I found one used in mint for $1k. Any reviews from anyone? I remember BP did a review about one, but I can't find that issue!! This one is an Ash/Birdseye Maple with Bart soaps (not sure which ones though) and Bart 3-band.

Thanks,
    Scott D.

2. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I had an MPG Level 5 and played it for about a year. You can see the bass at basspalace.com. Ash body, birdseye maple board and quartersawn maple neck, EMG pu's. The bass was well built and was one of the best balanced basses I've ever had on a strap and sat comfortably in your lap as well. Bass had a great sound unplugged and although I wasn't crazy about the pu's it had decent range tonally and was easy to play. It seems there are a fair amount of Matt's basses out there being played and I would certainly buy another one if the right one came along.
    Good luck!

3. Chaputa

Chaputa Bass-Not just fo eatin anymore

While I haven't had my level 6 as long as Mike had his 5 (had it since January...) I whole heartedly agree with the balance comment. The neck is like buttah. MPG's standard setup now is the Bart soapbars w/ the ntmb's (which I have on mine and sound great).

The only diff between Mike's and the newer MPG's is that he no longer uses the string retainers due to the tilted headstock design he now uses.

...definitely worth checking out though...I've gotta give him a call due to him starting to make 4's again!

4. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    I had a level 5 for about a year. I didn't dig its lightwave electronics, but the construction was top notch, a very well made bass. i've had my eye on a few of his since.

5. Chaputa

Chaputa Bass-Not just fo eatin anymore

AHHH!!!! You had the one bass that Matt REGRETS that he ever made!!!

When I went to pick mine up, he said that he was thinking of buying it back due to how he feels its putting a damper on his reputation.

His other basses are DEFINITELY worth checking out though...

6. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    That's too bad. I didn't think it was a bad bass at all, just not suited to what i've been playing. It had a very woody, p bass thump to it, and i've been leaning to the j side for a bit lately. Still, guy i traded it to seemed happy with it, maybe he'll pipe up a few kind words for the bass that never should have been.