MPG Pulcinella JJ4...anyone play an MPG?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stingray56funk, Apr 26, 2005.

1. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Guys, I'm considering buying a used MPG JJ4 bass listed on It is gorgeous with a 5A quilted top and tobacco burst finish. I am curious if some of you TB'ers own an MPG and what do you think of the craftsmanship and playbility. I'm also considering a used Fender American Deluxe Jazz w/ upgraded shielding and Aguilar Preamp instead of the Fender/Suhr preamp. Which bass should I go for? I'm looking at getting either of these 4 strings for straight up slap/funk and jazz playing. I love a traditional jazz tone but both basses are calling my name...Need Help!
  2. Hey Stingray,
    I had a Level 5 for about a year and a half. It was my main fretted bass. It was a great bass - good playability and with the Bart preamp, it was very versatile.

I sold it because I bought a Roscoe and needed to recoup some of the expense. Otherwise, it was a great bass. If you get a 48 hour approval period with the Pulcinella, I would pull the trigger.
  3. i have a level5 with lightwave electronics that i got used here on tb. i've been modding it a bit by shaving down the neck a bit and developing a ramp/pickguard to add. very well put together. i would definitely consider an mpg for my next bass if i had money.
  4. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    The Level 4JJ has been discontinued. I love my Level 6.