Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MPG Pulcinella JJ4...anyone play an MPG?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stingray56funk, Apr 26, 2005.

1. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Guys, I'm considering buying a used MPG JJ4 bass listed on www.tradingbasses.com. It is gorgeous with a 5A quilted top and tobacco burst finish. I am curious if some of you TB'ers own an MPG and what do you think of the craftsmanship and playbility. I'm also considering a used Fender American Deluxe Jazz w/ upgraded shielding and Aguilar Preamp instead of the Fender/Suhr preamp. Which bass should I go for? I'm looking at getting either of these 4 strings for straight up slap/funk and jazz playing. I love a traditional jazz tone but both basses are calling my name...Need Help!

2. Hey Stingray,
    I had a Level 5 for about a year and a half. It was my main fretted bass. It was a great bass - good playability and with the Bart preamp, it was very versatile.

I sold it because I bought a Roscoe and needed to recoup some of the expense. Otherwise, it was a great bass. If you get a 48 hour approval period with the Pulcinella, I would pull the trigger.

3. i have a level5 with lightwave electronics that i got used here on tb. i've been modding it a bit by shaving down the neck a bit and developing a ramp/pickguard to add. very well put together. i would definitely consider an mpg for my next bass if i had money.

4. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    The Level 4JJ has been discontinued. I love my Level 6.