Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MPLS search.

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by godspeed68, Mar 17, 2006.

1. godspeed68

godspeed68 i like music. a lot.

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Hey guys, I just have a quick question for you. Mainly an electric player, I had an upright a while ago on rent for a couple months. Recently (just now, actually) I've made the decision to pick up an upright and get serious about playing again. I've also recently moved to Minneapolis. Do any of you guys know off hand where I could go and shop for one in the MPLS area? Most people I know that play upright have a crazy story of how they found it, got it as a gift, or stole it...but I do not forsee anything like that happenin...and besides...its tax season ;)....any help?

thanks,
    tOm

p.s. - I have limited funds....a couple thousand at best.

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    MN, Minneapolis, Quinn Violins, Scott Jensen, click to emailluthier@quinnviolins.com
    Full service repairs and restorations, extensions, instruments

MN, St. Paul, John Michael Smith, 651-647-1148,
    Repairs, restorations, setups, rehairs, extensions, accessories

3. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    I just bought a bass from All Strings Attached. They're in Golden Valley: www.allstringsattached.com

They probably have the best selection in the cities. Other than that, there is groth music which carries a few...and there has been an ad on Craigslist lately for an Eastman 305? I'm going to try to find it for you, seems like a good deal.

4. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
  5. My teacher has has used a couple of loaners from all stings attached while his bass is being worked on. Both have been chinese basses but sound very good for the price.
    Also keep the name John Michael Smith in your back pocket. He's a great luthier and does wonderful set up.

6. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    +1 on John Michael Smith however he does take awhile..

Steve from All Strings Attached does great work as well, but he's currently on an extended leave.

7. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    I have a bass for sale in Minneapolis. What is your price range? I am a Performance major at the U

8. godspeed68

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    wow, i didn't expect so many replies.

i have a couple thousand at best to work with.

john michael smith, ill remember that.

i visited my parents this weekend (WI), and went to a local store that has had this bass sittin around for about 6 months. seems like a nice bass, heres the low down:

2005 knilling bucherest 1308 (T 4 (meaning it has upgrades?))3/4. Carved. has Diaddario helicores. has wheel bridge adjustment added. no bow (obviously), but he said he'd throw in a soft case as well. asking price $2195.

What do you guys think? Good for the $$$? I'm not an experienced player, but I'm experienced on electric, so an entry level bass is not something im entirely interested in. Any thoughts will help out!

tOm

9. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    Something you should definetely know is buying a string bass is much different than buying an electric. Your best bet is to play a bunch of different basses and see what one sounds and feels good to you. If you have a teacher, definetely get their input and bring them along if possible. Many shops will let you trial a bass for awhile to see if you like it. Try some basses out of your price range as well so you get an idea of what it means to play a $2000 bass versus a $10,000 bass. The main things you want to consider are how it sounds to you as well as the construction. There are so many variables with string basses, I highly recommend reading some of the newbie sticky threads if you haven't already. Good luck!

10. Oh - I thought it was something like MILF. Sorry.

11. godspeed68

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I've decided to go and check out all strings attached today. they close in a couple hours so ill have to move quick! do most places selling higher end uprights have payment plans/financing avail.???

thanks

tOm

12. godspeed68

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Just got back from all strings attached. I must say some of the basses were fun, but I was not taken very well as far as service was concerned. Seemed like an elitist crowd that I was walking into. The younger guy working was helpful, but wouldn't let me ask too many questions. My friend I was with was pretty much shunned away because his cello was cheap and they didn't want to touch it. Overall I wasn't really sold on any of them....he told me to check out their Eastman 305...an older one from the early 90's...it was 3500 for it which is a little out of my price range...Any other stores to check out??? thanks guys!

tOm

13. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    I definately know what you mean about the people at that shop. They do have the largest selection of basses that I know of though. Check with Mike Smith 651-647-1148. That's who I do my work with and he just put an extension on my bass...it sounds fantastic.

14. godspeed68

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    cool, ill have to check with him. the local shop back in WI gave me the impression to stay away from eastmans...should i heed this advice??? at ASA he made it sound as if the 305 they had was well worth the 32-3500 they were asking for it? ill check the sticky threads on this, but any input is great. i also take it that in order to get a decent Kay (US laminate right?) or Juzek (German carved?) im going to end up spending some money. These two basses seem to be polar opposites from each other. I would be more into playin pizz. and doin the jazz thing i guess...but i love the sound of a bow. and ill have to check up on hybrids....any food for though or words of wisdom???

thanks guys,
    tOm

15. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    Was the shop in WI The Double Bass Workshop? In madison?
    http://www.thedoublebassworkshop.com/

Let me know if you are interested in trying my bass out....as I said I can be quite flexible with the price.

16. godspeed68

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    fire-breather, actually it was at this place called island music. its not a specialty shop, but is known for doing strings. they sell rock gear too (plus for me). ive heard of this double bass workshop, but hope i don't have to drive down to madison to find one. I really only have a couple thousand to work with, which is a significantly less amount than what you asked for. maybe i should just wait and save up some more cash if possible??? does anyone have any info at all about the knilling bass i mentioned above???

thanks guys,

tOm

17. godspeed68

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
  18. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    I don't think you can go wrong with this shop. Henry Boehm, the owner, is a pretty nice guy. He definately is not the type that sells crap basses.

19. We have two Eastman basses for our kids, one laminated and one carved. They have gotten great response from their four teachers, including the principal of the local symphony. I have been told there is inconsistency in the Eastman basses, but we haven't seen that ourselves. Our luthier did some upgrades on the carved Eastman and set both of them up. Professional set-up is a several hundred dollar expense that is vital for both injury free playing and sound quality unless you buy directly from a luthier who does this as a package.

Our local schools bought a dozen of the Knilling 1308T you mentioned and they all sound bad and have significant problems that need luthier attention. Maybe they would sound ok after a professional set up, but the way they were sold is not even close to good. Hope that helps.

20. godspeed68

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    hey, thank you very much for your input. that helped a bunch. i think im leaning more towards checking out that shop in madison for my purchase. any more input for anyone else is greatly appreciated as well!

thanks,

tOm