Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mpulse 600 @ 8ohms...will it be loud enough??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theshadow2001, Aug 4, 2005.

1. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I'm going to order my m pulse 600 tomorrow. I am concerned however that it might not be loud enough when running at 300 watts at 8 ohms.

I will be using a GK SBX 115 which has a speaker replaced with a 15" 400 watt 8ohm eminence speaker.

I got the cab because it was cheap and is just a means towards an end, in that I intend on buying different cabs to run it at 4ohms later down the line but for now it will do. (Also any cab recommendations are welcome)

I know the mesa's are loud but will the 600 be able to compete against an incredibly loud mesa full tube mark IV guitar amp and a drummer whilst running at half power?

I do have PA support available which will improve things volume wise but upgrading from 160watt and 2x10 to 300watt and 1x15 doesnt seem like much.

I suppose I just need it as a stage monitor at the moment so both the drummer and I can hear what im doing

I guess Im looking for a bit of reassurance.....:meh:

2. Even though I'm a big fan of a lot of watts for clean headroom, nice open lows, etc., your cabinet will have much more to do with pure volume than 300 versus 600 watts. In other words, if you same cab was at 4ohms so that it allowed all 600 watts of the amp to be used, the sound would be 'better' (assuming the cab can handle the power), but not necessarily that much louder, since it takes a ton of power to significantly increase perceived volume.

So... having that cab at 8ohms is actually a good thing. If you don't have enough volume, you can add another 8ohm cab and then have the double wump of more watts and more cone area/cabinets to push more air.

One thing about the MPulse... the preamp is voiced to sound very, very 'tube-like'. It really mimics the give and warmth of a 100% tube amp much more than other hybrid heads like the Edens and SWR's in my opinion. So.... if you like the SVT type tone, the MPulse is awesome. If you like it crisp and clean, you might want to try something else.

PS... once you get a good quality, large 4ohm cab, the MPulse will really put out the volume... it's a very loud 600 watts. :hyper:

3. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Being a M-Pulse 600 owner I'd say yes. The thing can freaking scream at 300 watts and a 4x10. I used to practice with my metal band using a M-Pulse 600 and a Ampeg SVT-115EN. It's a strong head, you'll need to push more mids, but the mids on the M-Pulse are tastefully done so that it doesn't overpower. You're really going to love your head the thing has seriously made my life better :0.

Tacos are the tastiest thing off the lunch truck.

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Its true what you say 300 watt versus 600 watt isnt a huge difference but I'm talking more relative too my current 160 watts. 300 watts compared to 160 watts isn't a huge difference either. But 600 watts compared to 160 watts is a much better difference.

160x2 = 320
    320x2 = 640

The mesa's full 600 watts is a doubling of a doubling of my original watts which is at least +6db I believe

I fully intend on running a 4x10 and 1x15 off the mesa later down the line it's just...well I want to know am I leading up to a bit of a disapointment when I get the head next week. Might I still have trouble hearing myself? will I need to drive the hell out of the amp and speaker to hear myself like I do now?

and BTW I prefer the Mesa to SWR Ampeg and GK I know its the right head for me

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Whoops you got the reply in there before me Karrot-x! :)

But thanks for replying you've but my mind at ease already.

I especially like the words: "freaking scream, 300 watts and metal band"

If its loud enough for a metal band then its probably loud enough for almost anythign

6. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I don't think you'll be dissapointed. I play more than half my gigs and all of my rehersals with a Mesa Walkabout, the 600's kid brother. I push either 300 watts into a Avatar 210 @ 4 ohms, or 165 watts into a SWR 15" @ 8 ohms. The only time I have trouble with volume is when I'm at a larger gig and don't have PA support. The 600 is going to SMOKE your old Peavey! And when it does be sure to let us know all about it.

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Add a Powerhouse 1000 to that thing... almost nothing is better. I played off a 600/powerhouse cab once and that was probably one of the happiest moments of my life at the time. :bawl:

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Yeah power house 1000 would be cool or the 8x10!! (AHHH!!! THE G.A.S. IS GROWING ALREADY!! :rolleyes: Still, you can't beat the classic 4x10 and 1x15 combo especially for transportability.

I heard today that mesa cabs aren't all that they're cracked up to be and im considering going down the line of ampeg cabs unfotrunatley this being Ireland its hard to go anywhere where you can try both out at hte same time :scowl:
    I had to literally travel to opposite sides o the country to try out GK and mesa stuff. Anyways thats neither here nor there

what do you guys think mesa cabs or ampeg cabs....maybe I should take a poll...

9. If you're a Mesa kinda guy then you won't want an Ampeg cab. Get a Mesa. Clean, warm, and punchy. An all Mesa rig has a take no prisoners, shoot you in the kneecaps, smack you with a sledgehammer tone.

10. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Yeah I tried an SVTIII pro with an ampeg 15 I was very disappointed with it. I was really psyched about ampeg but it didn't do it for me.

I tried the pulse 360 with 4x10 power house andd it was sexy. So you might just be right.

11. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I would just compliment the m-pulse with a mesa cab. Beleive me they sound unbeleivable together. I run my m-pulse through a powerhouse 210/115. Nothing else better IMO.