Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mPulse V Aguilar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jeff schmidt, Sep 1, 2004.

1. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    I'm dumping the SWR Redhead and going pre/amp/cab or amp/cab.

I'm heading out on sat to listen to some amps but I'm curious if anyone here has any experience with mesa's mPulse vs Aguilar stuff.

I've heard it stacks (tone-wise) with Aguilar. I play MTD and Pedulla basses.

I'm looking for lots of tonal variety - and of course - world class tone.

Thanks for your ideas!

PS - I've been using an Ampeg SVP-Pro pre to "warm things up" - but I'm looking to dump that too.

2. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    You won't miss the Redhead. :spit: I moved into a Walkabout Scout and Mesa gives me the tone to raise some serious low end. The controls are very sensitive and you can dial in some real grit and bottom. I'm using a Victor Bailey Jazz and I am convinced that I have made the right decision to Boogie. Go for it.

3. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I used a 3Pro for years and it was a really good sounding amp, but I picked up an M-pulse 600 this month (also trying something different) and this is it for me. I have 20+ basses and they all sound great with this thing. Lots of bottom, very muscular mids, sweet highs. Like waxcomb said, very small adjustments make very apparent differences in tone - it took a little bit for me to get the hang of that. But I don't miss the 3Pro at all.

I do not have any experience with Aguilar amps, but I am using a their 212 cabinet and loving it. My best rig to date. I'm sold on Mesa (for the near future at least :D ).

4. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I also have an M-Pulse 600. I've only used it on three gigs to date, but it's easily the best amp I've ever had (I've owned Ampeg, Eden and SWR). I do need a little more time on the EQ to get it dialed in exactly where I want it, but I'm convinced that the sound I want is in this amp. I am using the Aggie GS210 and GS112 cabinets with this amp. It's a great combination. The 112 pumps out smooth,deep,pillowy bottom and the 210 delivers the punch. By the way, I play a Pedulla Thunderbolt and Buzz. They sound killer through this rig! :D

5. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I've owned all three and the AGUILAR is the best tone by far. VERY VERSATILE tone!

6. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I've owned the Mesa M-Pulse 600, had several versions of Pre/Power Amp rigs (Alembic/Demeter/Stewart/Crest/BGW/QSC), had an Eden WT-800 and had several SWR heads. I was able to get a good sound out of all of them. If you want world class sound, try the Thunderfunk TFB-420. The best plug and play amp I've ever seen. Warm and Phat. Tight punchy lows, mid-range growl and smooth highs! All in a 15 lb. box!

7. jeff schmidt

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    HA!

Too bad I found that out AFTER owning it!

To be fair - the Redhead sounded great with my Carvin LB75 in a rock setting. But when I plugged the 535 and Buzz into it and tried to dial in "SWEET TONE" - :spit: :eek: Yeah.

I just e-mailed the Thunderfunk people hoping they can find me a dealer here in Northern California. I'm tired of buying stuff without trying it.

I'm very psyched now to try the mPulse V Aguilar shoot out this weekend!

I am leaning heavily on getting the Aggie cabs - but the amp/pre route is still wide open.

Thanks for your input!! :hyper:

8. jeff schmidt

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    turns out mr thunderfunk has no offical dealer in San Fran area - unless I want to drive about 75 miles to AccuGrove headquaters.

I know the music scene here is kinda lame - but this is the 4th largest city in the US!

***?? :crying:

9. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    So grab your favorite CD, jump in the car and start driving! :bassist:
    You might be whinning all the way there but you'll be smiling all the way back! :smug:

10. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Aguilar - aggressive tubey sound, bright but not overly so, thick mids but very clear

Mpulse - very warm, not as bright, thicker in the low end, very bassy, not as aggressive, smoother

IMHO of course :D

Anybody have a spare mpulse they'd let me put on basstasters?

11. jeff schmidt

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Yeah - unfortunately this isn't a Wyoming kinda 75 miles - it's a heavy metro 75 miles from Marin Country thru the city of San Fran - thru the peninsula (okay...hi-way) to the nerd farms of silicon valley in San Jose.

In otherwords - 2 hours each way.:eek:

If the Thunderfunkster people want to sell amps I think they should make it a little easier for potential customers to actually hear them.

Like . . . oh I don't know . . . FINDING A DEALER IN SAN FRAN!!! or OAKLAND - BERKELEY - SANTA ROSA or any of the 9 counties that make up the SF Bay area!

Okay . . . got that outta my system.

For now. :p

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You have chosen two great options. I haven't heard the Aquilar, but my Walkabout (which is a baby M-Pulse) fits with Vanselus' excellent description, above. Of the major manufacturers of bass gear, Mesa Boogie is at or near the head of the pack.However, JOME77 is right to mention the ThunderFunk TFB420. It does, indeed, deliver on your stated goal of "lots of tonal variety - and of course - world class tone." Two other amps that I would throw into that category would be the iAMP 800 and the Walter Woods Ultra High Power. I have commented on both of them (and the ThunderFunk) extensively elsewhere on these forums, if you are interested.

13. Thunderfunk

Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL
    I went to Guitar Center about 10 miles from Eden World Headquarters and didn't find one Eden amp there. And this is in Chicago, the Third Largest City. And GC is a dealer.

Dave Funk

14. jeff schmidt

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Has "Guitar Center" suddenly become the standard for customer service? :(

Besides - are you suggesting that there is NOWHERE else in Chicago one could obtain an Eden amp - cuz that is EXACTLY the case with Thunderfunk and San Francisco.

I want to hear your amp Dave. Seriously. Help a brutha out! :help:

15. Thunderfunk

Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL
    No. Just saying GC is a huge dealer, close to the source, and still has no inventory. We have dealers, and half of our dealers don't even have an amp in inventory. Even the big ones. That's helpful. That's why we've been concentrating on selling direct. If a dealer wants to sell amps, then they should sell amps. If they don't know what to sell, then they're normal. :) But we're not waiting for them. If a dealer doesn't carry our amps, then they're lame, not us. We sell three or four direct for every one a dealer sells. We've sold amps to England, Ireland, Germany, Sweden, Australia, and Denmark. All with no local dealers. All sight unseen. All on reputation.

It's my understanding that AccuGroove now has a showroom in Cupertino. BassPlayer Magazine tells me the review will be out in Dec or Jan, and we'll be at NAMM in Anaheim. In the meantime you can try an amp out for 7 days. If you can live without it, return it for a refund. See out webpage for details.

http://www.thunderfunk.com/direct_sales.html

Dave Funk

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Boy, that was fun!"

16. jeff schmidt

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    I understand your attitude about dealers - but there are a few non-guitar center indie shops around here that carry the eden, aggie, mesa stuff and have it in stock most of the time. Gelb in Redwood City comes to mind. Still a haul for me - but they're pretty cool and better still - they're NOT guitar center.

I'll contact AccuGroove on Sat to see if they have a Thunderfunk I can play for a bit on Saturday. Looks like I'm taking a road trip.

If they don't have one - or wont let me come play - I'll order one from you direct to try it for the 7 day trial.

Thanks!

17. jeff schmidt

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Not that anyone asked or cares - but I figured I'd report the results of my amp/cab quest today.

I tried Aguilar, Eden, SWR and Mesa heads. Sorry thunderfunk - no one returned my calls.

I bought the mPulse 600. Very sweet tones - lottsa variety from clean to dirty - thick and deep to thin and high - this thing kills with that super nice tuby vibe throughout!

Cabs - I tried everything smaller than 4x10 - (I don't want or need a 4X10 cab - if I ever do i'll rent) same brand names as amps plus AccuGroove.

While the 210 Aguilars were better to my ears than the Eden and Mesas - nothing even came close to the AccuGroove Tri210L with the mPulse head.

You can clearly hear how the other cabs "impart" a sound on . . well . . .your sound.

I know many people like this about various cabs - but I really like my tone to come from everything BEFORE the speakers (in other words - all the stuff I can control!) It seemed I was always fighting the cabinet in some way with Aguilar, Eden, Mesa cabs.

So there ya go. I'm done. I've got my killer basses - I've got my killer rig - stick a fork in my wallet - it's done. :D

18. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I also recommend the Thunderfunk! I live 3000 miles out in the Pacific, and there are no dealers here for high end bass equipment.........I took the chance on the Thunderfunk last year........it rules :cool: Like Dave said, you can send it back if your not satisfied.
    Oops......I didn't see your post above/ Emily Latila voice on.............nevermind :)

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Now that is one of the funniest sig lines I have read! :p

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Congrats! That is a very nice rig! Does your Tri 210L have the Accuswitch? (I think that they all do, but I'm not 100% sure). Flip that baby to 4 ohm, fire up the M-Pulse 600 and let 'er rip! I am not surprised at all by your purchase. As I mentioned below, the Mesa Boogie heads are really exceptional, and Accugroove makes some stunningly good cabs!

Enjoy!

Tom.