1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mpulse600 vs. GBE750

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by silky smoove, Aug 20, 2007.

1. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    So I've gotten some interest in my pre/power rig up for sale and its looking more and more like its going to move.

I've narrowed my search of heads down to the Mesa Mpulse 600 and the Genz Benz GBE 750.

I've owned the Mesa before and know exactly what it can and can't do. I've never owned the Genz Benz, but I have played one before (quite recently actually). I was generally impressed but did not have a chance to really crank it up or try it in a band setting. I definitely like having the compressor on board the Mesa, but I also like having the two channels on the Genz Benz. I know there's a footswitchable EQ on the Mesa that COULD act like a second channel, but the 3-band EQ is still there and (to me) never allowed the amp to feel like a two channel amp.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Genz Benz simply to try it out. If you were choosing between these two amps which way would you go?

For reference I'm playing hip-hop meets funk meets blues meets rock (http://www.myspace.com/eclecticapproach) using a custom jazz bass with DiMarzio Model J pickups... Occasionally I'll run a wah as well, but not terribly often.

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    like you - I more or less know what the Mesa is about - and of the two, I'd do the Genz more because I wouldn't do the Mesa though.

That Genz isn't light ... I probably wouldn't do that either. I think the Navigator & 2402 has me spoiled.