1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mr Black FwonkBeta envelope filter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dannybuoy, Mar 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    bassboysam and Somnambulance like this.
  2. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    Definitely a winner in terms of sound. I would love one for the collection, but will wait till they show up used.

cnltb likes this.
  3. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    $149 new with PAE discount code in the link above

Somnambulance likes this.
  4. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Pedalsandeffects.com is wrong, Mr Black no longer offers international shipping. I guess he must have had a bad experience that made him stop. I'm gonna look into getting one sent to one of those forwarding companies!

5. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Ordered one sounds awesome in the clip . Wonder how long before they ship them?

6. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    Per the website it's on or before 03/16/2015

So.... 2 months from now?????

7. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    I would have already bought one if they shipped to Canada.

Bummer

8. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Actually the website now says on or before 3/20/16. Hope they are somewhat close on the ship date.

9. Noylin

Noylin

May 28, 2014
    Cuse
    pre-ordered one...not cool about no international shipping though

10. Cazman

Cazman Supporting Member

May 9, 2003
    Ordered as well... We'll see. The word "Fwonk" pretty much describes what I'm wanting to hear, though.

11. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    New vid:

nshuman and winterburn69 like this.
  12. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    That Fwonk Beta really has the greatest sound I've heard in an envelope filter. Can't wait for his end of year sale where I'll pick one up for the collection.

13. Turkeypills

Turkeypills

Nov 8, 2012
    St. Louis

I've seen a bunch of Instagram posts of people saying theirs have already shipped. Jack Deville doesn't fool around. I ordered a Supermoon and a Shepards End during last years BF sale and they shipped 2 days later.

I love Mr. Black. I would argue that he is making some of the best modulation effects on the market. If only I could find a maker of dirt pedals that I was as fond of. Those come and go, but my Mr. Black boxes aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

SteveBass5 likes this.
  14. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    The video sounds great. The FwonkBeta sounds different from the run of the mill Envelope filter not as nasal and quacky but still Wet and Funky. Can't wait to get mine The update says they are getting it ready to ship. Who knows what that means time line wise.

15. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I don't know if it's the pedal or Juan's rig, but it sounds like it had a bit of mild distortion built in that I really like. The only other two filter pedals I've tried (and still own) that do this are the Mini Q-Tron and Meatball. This sounds like it could possibly replace both of them in a smaller form factor!

16. Somnambulance

Somnambulance Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Mine has its shipping label created at least, can't wait!!

17. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Is the switch on the Fwonkbeta a up/down switch?

Btw that video really makes me want a Vulcan XL. Tim got some great sounds out of it. I'd really like to see him do another video for it. I love it when Tim does videos with P&E.

Malekko?

DirtyDuke likes this.
  18. Guinness20

Guinness20

Jan 24, 2013
    Liverpool, UK
    I don't know when/how I'd use one but they sound killer!

19. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    There isn't a switch on the Fwonkbeta. Just three knobs, an LED and the foot stomp. I really wish it had a downsweep mode, but I still ordered one anyway.

That Vulcan really does sound good. I was watching the video for the Mr. Black (and because I love Tim Lefebvre's playing) but very cool to see an A/B with the Vulcan and the Vintage Deluxe. Very similar sounding but with some definite differences, though we can't really see exactly where the knobs are set and both seem pretty EQ'd.

20. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Last day of the discount code for those on the fence...

They might not ship internationally, but I just set up an account with Shipito.com - I send the package to a US address then they charge me a measly $2 to forward it onto the UK. Fingers crossed this works out OK!