Mr. Bungle

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slowburnaz, May 8, 2002.

1. slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Does anyone know what kind of bass was used on the "clown" album? The bass' tone is great, and I always thought it might be a heavily EQed Stingray, but the more I listen to it, I don't think that's the case...
  2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Hope this helps :

Quote :

"To achieve the expansive range of tones his music calls for, Trevor relies on a variety of gear. With Mr. Bungle he uses an Alembic Europa 5-string, Fender P-Bass, diminutive Guild Ashbory, Vox bass through a Fender Twin guitar combo "for that surf sound," and a no-name Czech upright he purchased from a former girlfriend, who had the bass picked out by family friend Red Callender. For amplification he runs an SWR SM-400 head through SWR Goliath Jr. 2x10 and Big Ben 1x18 cabinets. With Trio Convulsant, Trevor achieves decidedly untraditional tones by running his Fishman-equipped upright through a Mu-Tron envelope filter and a Dunlop Crybaby wah-wah pedal. For his jazz gigs he prefers a WorkingmanÂ’s 10 or the SM-400/Goliath Jr. rig."

All the best,
  3. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    At the time, Trevor Dunn actually used an Ibanez through a Peavey 75 Watt TKO. He also had a Peavey fretless. Then he made the drastic upgrade to the Alembic and P-bass through the SM-400S, Goliath Jr., and the Big Ben I believe, well that's the Bungle gear at least...but he would sound good with a broom stick and a rubber band. I also think Ken Lawrence made him a fretless but he doesn't really play it...

Isn't this a Bassist thread ?
  4. slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Not a bassists thread, cause I'm asking about the bass(es) he used on the record.... :D
  5. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I saw a bootleg video from that era and could have sworn he was playing a Carvin. "Dead Goon" has to be that fretless Peavey...