1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mr. Excane Demos Thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregmon79, Jan 4, 2015.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I know I shared that at some point but I include it again here because he just put up another Hiero effects, the BEAD. I want both these!!

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

I’ve got a BEAD on the way right now. I LOVE the Brassmaster, and watched the two bass video demos a bunch of times before my wife finally said “Just buy it!” Mine has a yellow faceplate. No clue how long shipping Russia to UK will be, but I’ll post my thoughts once it arrives.

theunknowndude and gregmon79 like this.
  3. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Nice!!! Yeah I really like the bassmaster too. Always been one of my favs as well. I reached out to the builder yesterday. He said he’s making more now so hopefully I in the near future. Nice score btw! They are not easy to find atm.

4. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better. Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    That Overwhelmer sounds NASTY; BEAD is a bit too fuzzy/splatty for my taste, but both are really cool & flexible pedals

5. 4StringAxe

4StringAxe

Jul 27, 2009
    Great thread. Surely added some things to my gas list.

gregmon79 likes this.
  6. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    The BEAD isn't as sputtery and unhinged as this demo would make you believe. It's pretty well established that the Excane demos make dirt pedals sound more tonally similar and more extreme than they actually are. I think he slams the front end of most pedals, so the gain-staging isn't typical to a lot of setups.

I've got a jazz bass with EMG JVX pickups (traditional tone with a bit hotter/crisper output), and I run that into a Smoothie comp and a Cog Mini 66 for my "clean" tone. Even with some boost from the comp/very mild OD, the BEAD can be way more controlled and fat than this demo lets on. Don't get me wrong, you can unleash the splatty Bassmaster fury when set correctly. On the other hand, you can dial in some bigger, warmer tones that get me into decent muff territory with a bit more articulation and punch. (Dial the blend back toward the clean side, dial back the voice, moderate drive, higher level...presto.)

It's tough to judge the BEAD, because two of the three demos come from Excane and Patrick Hunter. Patrick's baked-in sound isn't as extreme, but they both have an over-driven & gritty "clean tone". The BEAD is a derivative of the Bassmaster/Diabolik, but it does a lot more than that.

theunknowndude and lekxs like this.
  7. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    It's kinda supposed to be that way though. It's a B:ASSMASTER clone. Not exact but it's close. You can dummy down the gain on it and it does change the character of the pedal a bit through its sweep which is cool. But its a beast of a fuzz in general. Def not for the faint of heart.

lekxs likes this.
  8. groovaholic

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Yup — my comments were definitely intended as a statement of my preferences rather than any indictment of the BEAD.

But the Overwhelmer would be WAY up on my list if I was still playing heavy stuff.

gregmon79 likes this.
  9. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Yeah man that overwhelmer sounds so dope. Wish I could snag one!

10. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Yummy

zapped777, J-Mags and Crystalman85 like this.
  11. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Sounds killer. \m/

zapped777 and gregmon79 like this.
  12. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Now THIS is raunch! I really want one of these. I haven't had any real substantial GAS except for the DG X7 coming out. But this, I want this!!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  13. groovaholic

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    This is WAY over the top, and completely bad@$$.
    Sounds inspired by Cliff Burton's effects chain on "Anesthesia"...

gregmon79 likes this.
  14. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    It’s comin gents

15. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Am I wrong or does this thing sound like a very convincing OC2???!!

16. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Dude I saw this at work today... Wow. Right on time for when I need a different octave flavor in my life. I just can justify the purchase.

The simplicity is perfect for me. One knob either I want my octave or I want my clean blended in that's all I need.

Infact they have a bunch of pedals I can convince myself I need.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    gregmon79 likes this.
  17. ok insta-buy for me , i'll do a review next week ;)

Robertron and gregmon79 like this.
  18. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Good Lord that’s a lotta gain!!

19. ok 'ive received my kma !!! test is coming

20. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    I was surprised at how good the guitar demo for this sounded, and it makes me wonder how many good distortion circuits are trapped inside terrible tiny amplifiers.