1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mr. Fixit

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JimmyM, Jan 11, 2008.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Holy cow, do I have a lot of repairs going on all at once! I have had this pile of equipment for years that was either broken or needed work, and I put it off and put it off for years. Then I got separated (don't worry, we've reconciled but we haven't moved back in together yet), and I decided, hey, nobody's counting my money anymore, so I decided to get every single broken piece of equipment fixed. So here's what I've got going on all at once:

Broken 1969 Ampeg SVT---head needs repaired and restored to spec, speakers need recones, currently in shop.

1966 Ampeg B-15N---sending to Jess Oliver to get the electronics tweaked and the speaker recovered in blue checker, gets sent out on Monday.

1973 Fender Super Reverb---Silverface-to-Blackface conversion, currently in shop.

Early 1990's Ampeg SVT 3 Pro---Had some problems with this amp putting out distortion and sent it back to Ampeg twice, and basically gave up on it. The local SS guy thinks its components' values have just drifted with age and it needs an adjustment. Hope he's right. Currently going through a burn-in.

Early 60's Montgomery Ward 62-9013a 10w guitar combo---needs new speaker, ordered Jensen Mod 35w replacement.

Early 1990's Audio Centron PA cabs---tweeters keep blowing, need to buy better replacements, needs speaker grills. Currently in storage but only for another couple days.

2000 Fender Precision Lyte---getting new passive pickups.

1999 Ebay Parts P/J---same.

1960 Gibson EB-0---body broke in 81 or 82, tried to fix it myself and it worked for about a month when my nimrod friend kicked it out of a stand and rebroke it, needs stripped, repaired and repainted in cherry, putting this one off because I'm maxed out.

Folks, this is what happens when a musician whose wife always wanted him to not spend money on equipment while she's out getting nosejobs and taking cruises while he's on the road gets turned loose for a few months. I have to tell you, separation has been the greatest thing in the world for me! All these projects getting done that got put off for years, nobody busting my stones about new equipment...if I didn't love my wife so much I'd never go back! :bassist::bassist:

So what's sitting around your house broken that you're waiting for your wife to throw you out so you can get fixed? Come on, I know everyone's got something that's broken...fess up!

2. My house. lol

Whats with the "burn in" on the 3 Pro? isnt he just talking about tweaking the mosfet bias?

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Possibly, but the problem was that every time I got it fixed from the factory, it would work for a month then start distorting again. He's doing a burn-in to see if the problem will re-occur.

4. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I'm there!!! Been restoring a 3700 square foot house for 5 years. Looks like I am still 2 years away :help::help:

5. sineas

sineas [email protected] TEAM 33258

Dec 31, 2007
    NY
    I'm into computers as much as I love music. I mod and overclock my rigs (pc that is) and burn-in is a critical phase for me after I first run anything I build.
    Burn-in is when you stress test something continuously for hours and some even days to check for reliability.

LOL I have a basement full of "need to be fixed" & "has been fixed" :D

6. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I'll share... I've got a laundry list of things to be fixed, and what got ME motivated was a fire that we had about 2 weeks before Christmas. I've now sold off quite a few of these projects. What I did to make things smooth with MY wife, is I sold off a piece of gear recently (my Boss GT8) to fund a big family outing that we're planning to take once the house is finished (only a couple weeks to go). She's got more patience than I do... as for unfinished projects, I'm just sitting on:

Meatball Clone (got all the parts and pieces, just haven't taken the time).
    Danelectro CoolCat Chorus (needs new pots)
    Peavey Mark VI (this one almost sent me packing b/c I ran an errand for HER and came home with a head and speaker cabinet and the head doesn't work - stupid liar on CL)
    MIJ Jazz 75RI (needs broken bridge screws drilled out, and new bridge installed)

Oh, I should add, that what probably saved my marriage this year was getting rid of my '67 Mercedes 230S that I've been working on for about 6 years. We took exactly 1 ride in it in all the time that I had it b/c there was something or other wrong with it. She kept counting receipts on it and finally relented to my giving it away to an electrician in exchange for some work to our house!

Peace ya'll... keep those spouses happy!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021