Mr. Mister

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Scottie, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Scottie

Scottie Banned

Oct 14, 2005
    C'mon and let's give it up for Mr. Mister. He was a great singing bassist!
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wasn't the drummer in Mr. Mister current King Crimson skins man Pat Mastelotto?
  4. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Mr. Mister, like Toto, were a bunch of studio guys that made some good pop records as their own band.
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Pre-Mr. Mister, Page & George were writers/arrangers for diverse projects...check out Al Jarreau's album Jarrreau(the album with "Mornin'") & Kenny Loggins' Feel The Fire("Who's Right, Who's Wrong" w/ Michael Jackson, no less, on backing vocals).

I have an LP buried somewhere called Front Page...IIRC, that was another band Page & George fronted pre-Mr. Mister. I think this was more of a R&B/jazzy vibe. I'll have to re-visit it if I can find it!
  6. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Awesome band. As far a slick 80's pop goes, their stuff was tasteful and well executed. I believe the drummer has been with King Crimson since the 90's. Does he still live in Austin?
  7. aikakone

Jan 27, 2008
    This was my first favorite band, and I loved the bass on "Broken Wings" before I even had an idea I'd become a bassist.

What can you all tell me about Richard's technique? I'd like to know more about what I'm hearing. Plus, is he playing fretless on "The Border"? (Not sure my ears have had the proper tune up yet, so please excuse the "stupid" questions.)
  8. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    I dig Mr. Mister. Their Go On album is one of my favorite 'unknowns'. Their Welcome To The Real World album is one of the first CDs I ever bought.
  9. aikakone

Jan 27, 2008
    Me, too. I bought it on both cassette and vinyl. I may yet buy it again in CD.

After I posted, I went and found some YouTube live clips of Richard playing a 5er. I couldn't tell what kind it was, though. I have guess of what it's not, but not what it is.
  10. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    Pat Mastaloto is an awesome drummer and a great guy! I was blessed to work with him in the 80's before and after Mr. Mister...
  11. I was a big Mr. Mister fan back in the day. I purchased Randy Jackson's instructional video "Mastering the Groove" the other day and the guitarist on it was Steve Farris from Mr. Mister, I recognized him right away. Man, he is tearing it up on that video! Randy too!
  12. bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    I liked them. One of the better 80's pop bands, those guys were great players. Some cool stuff.
  13. i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    OMG, this is my fav bands during my teenage days (before I knew Rush)...Broken Wings was one of the first bass line I learned.
  14. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    The guitarist, Steve Farris is on my top 10 fave list. Wonder what he's up to these days.
  15. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    I always thought they were a Christian Rock band.
  16. I was listening to Kyrie just the other day...I think I'l go tiytube Broken Wings.

Great band!
  17. aikakone

Jan 27, 2008
    Popular misconception. They weren't anything of the sort, but hey... they did get Grammy nominated for "Healing Waters" in one of the gospel/Christian categories. (I forget which specific one and what year. Sorry.)
  18. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    +1 - to this day, one of my favorite albums.

Big fan. There is a really good live concert from the Ritz in NYC available on Wolfgang's Vault, taped during the "Welcome To The Real World" tour.

These guys were very, very tight - a great example of a group achieving widespread (if brief) popularity despite their extreme degree of competence - it does not happen often.

Not by genre, but go back and listen to the lyrics, especially on "Go On".
  19. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I liked these guys back in the day as they were a bit 'underground' (pre-MTV "Broken Wings" video).
    As I mentioned above, Page/George were in an earlier band called FRont Page & both their names seem to pop up on a few of the albums I was buying at the time.
    Richard Page impressed me as a guy that probably played keys as a 1st instrument.