1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mr. Nordstrand

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by mahrous, Oct 13, 2006.

1. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
  2. tribal3140

tribal3140 Inactive

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    just black african ebony. I have one just like it on my oracle
    full solid black.
    very striking indeed!

3. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    That bass is extremely classy.

4. There's a folder on my hard drive with every picture from that page. His work is outstanding.

5. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    i never knew there is ebony that wide, enough for a top like that!

Pale,
    Nordstrand guitars = a big percentage of my inspiration corner! (which is well over 500 pics of guitars/basses now)

6. tribal3140

tribal3140 Inactive

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    he make a fantastic instrument too
    not just all show but lots of go!

and ebony trees are huge!
    full bookmatched tops (width) are harder and harder to come by these days but they are out there!
    alot of african and madagascar ebony will have gray streaks but they can be dyed out with analine black or when finished most of the little color dissapears.

7. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    interesting. in Egypt (where i live), i can only find raw trees that are less than 2m's high and perhaps 15cms in diameter.
    they sell these trees raw and when i cut them up, i barely get enough for fretboards with lots of gray streaks.

huge ebony trees. this is definitely new info for me but then again, our market as crap! :(

8. You are correct, sir. That jet black ebony top is a four piece I supplied to Carey some time back I believe. It's a testament to the high quality joining he does. Gabon ebony in wider widths is extremely rare.

9. I just scored some 8" wide ebony last week (thanks for the tip Matt!), at a pretty good price too. My piece has some of those short gray streaks in it. Also got a 7" wide piece a few years ago.

And did I mention the two 7" wide billets of figured Mac ebony (also scored last year)?

I have some ideas for an acoustic instrument, but I'm working up my skills to catch up to my vision. :D

10. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt

thank you for putting an end to my misery and confusion :)