1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mr Oyesterhead.....Les Claypool.......how do I get that sound???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by g4string, Apr 20, 2009.

1. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    If you know the song, you know what I am talking about. If not, preview track #3 http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Pecking...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1240260606&sr=1-1

Let me preface by saying that I am not an effects kind of guy.........I haven't used any type of effect for a good 10 years:bag: However, a band I am in is wanting to cover this song........so I would like to get close.

Let me say I DO NOT want to buy more than one pedal......I am am not looking at buying a multi-effects unit either. I am looking at buying just ONE cool pedal that will get me close. I just dont want some high-tech weird digital multi-unit. My budget is about $250.

What do you think............what ONE pedal would you recommend to get me close to that sound??? Thanks!!

2. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    It's either a synth pedal, or a filter combo.

3. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Any recommendations on which pedal/brand

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

A quacky filter, a delay and a slight fuzz. It sounds awesome.

5. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    There's an octave pedal in there too, I think.

To me it sounds like a filter with some dirt before it (nothing heavy, maybe just overdrive), mixed with an analogue octave down, with that octave down being more prominent in the mix.

For the filter I think a Q-Tron would work, for the octave an OC-2, the dirt could be anything really because it's barely heard, but something low gain, otherwise your envelope filter won't work very well. But the two sounds need to be mixed so you'd also need something like a Boss LS-2, and mix it more towards the OC-2.

So that's four pedals for you to buy. Sorry. :D

6. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
  7. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    The delay and octave are pretty well-regarded around here. The Bassballs won't do what you want though - it's not like a normal filter, it has a very different sound.

8. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    What would Sir George Martin do?

9. FenderAmpeg

FenderAmpeg

Feb 21, 2009
    So Cal
    So, what did you end up with?

10. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I am out of town for awhile...........when I get back I will be heading into the city (Chicago) to do some shopping;)

11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I've been working for years to ape his octave/filter/OD tone (with and without the delay) and, for a cheap solution, I recommend going this route:

- Digitech Bass Synth Wah (setting #2 - octave/filter)
    - Digitech Bad Monkey (for the OD)

Run the Monkey before the BSW.

Here's a clip from a gig I played in which I used this combo:

http://www.upload-mp3.com/pfiles/1122/DrWalkerSnippet.mp3

12. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    That would be sweet.......Thanks!

13. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Check my edit above...

14. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
  15. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    +1 Nice job.

16. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    I've been experimenting with this a lot recently, but I'm using a Micro POG because I like the sharper attack that it has compared to some other octave pedals out there. So far, I'm actually really feeling:

Micro POG->Boss ODB-3 or Gemini Drive->Micro Q-Tron

I think any overdrive/distortion that has a blend is particularly useful. If you can get a non-distorted and distorted synth octave going into your filter, you can create the illusion that you're using multiple oscillators. A light chorus really helps accentuate this as well.

What would be even cooler would be a blended fuzz in front of the Micro POG. That way, you'd be able to mix blended clean bass and fuzz with synth octaves. Overdrive to taste and send to your favorite envelope filter. I think that's the most likely evolution of my board at this point. Anyone else try this?

17. CuticleThorns

CuticleThorns

Apr 6, 2008
    York, UK
    EHX bass micro synth?