Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mr P.C. question

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by moped10, Aug 14, 2003.

1. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    I've been listening to alot of Paul Chambers as of late and was wondering, does anyone know if he was a one finger pizz player (right hand;) ) or a two finger player- I know the two finger style was starting to catch on around then, but I also know he was a high action gut string player... Anyone?

2. Hello Moped,
    I am studying PC`s stuff alot right now. I picked up a Book at www.robgourlay.com Its some good stuff. I`m not a salesman or anything just leting you know. As far as his right hand I heard he would walk with his middle finger over his index...kinda like the cross my fingers promise thing but the middle being on top. I dont know if that is true its just what I heard. I do know that the Transcribed Lines in this book has some runs in slower tempo songs that I doubt very seriously he did with one finger....Hope it helps. As far as the book its well worth getting and seeing how he went about walking. I know I have gotten several ideas and insight useing it.

Dave

3. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire
    A TV documentary of Miles Davis was made a few years back on which there is a short section of PC playing So What. There is a couple of close ups of his hands.

Many musicians have the video so I know you can find it if you really want to see Paul play.

4. I'm old enough to have seen Chambers live many times in NYC clubs. Can you imagine: Watching the Monk quartet with Sonny Rollins, and Chambers wandering in off the street in bedroom slippers to sit in.
    To tell the truth, I'm not sure. There was a style which looked like two fingers together, with only the first finger taking the string, which is what I think he did. However, most players imperceptibly switched back and forth between one and two fingers.
    Also, Chambers' career spanned the transition from gut to steel strings, and I suspect his plucking technique changed with his strings.

5. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    The crossed finger thing is interesting- I had a spell of about 8 years where I switched to EB, so when I came back to DB, I had to get back in shape quick for already booked gigs- They were no amp shows, so I had to play strong- The only way I could get through them while I was getting my strength back was to cross my middle finger over my index- But once I got my strength back, I switched back to the parallel index/occasional middle technique- Maybe I should have stuck with the crossed fingers though, because I can't get enough of Chambers' bounce...

6. bass_means_LOW

bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    No kidding! A drummer friend of mine asked Jimmy Cobb how he got such an explosive attack from the head into the solos and Cobb told him something like, "I had to just to keep Chambers on his toes." We all know Mr PC had an addictive personality.
    Another Handy story, ugghh. John was back stage at the BlackHawk when Slam met Paul and was blown away by Paul's bowing. Slam couldn't say enough about Paul's bowing. That's two legends.