Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mr. Potato

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoeDaddio, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Well, I searched the forum, and found nothing in here about these basses, so I thought I'd make a new thread :p

Anyway, I've been looking into getting myself an innexpensive 6 string bass, and have been considering the Brice HXB-406. I own there 4 string fretless Jazz copy, and after I put in some Bassline 3/4 Jazz pups in it, I really don't have any complaints other than my E has very little sustain. Anyway, I was very impressed with the quality, and would definatly consider their 6 string.

Anyway, on to the point of this post, I was looking through different bass manufacturers, and came upon Mr. Potato (man I wish they had a way to shut off that crummy music). I see they have a pretty good looking 6 string for around $350. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these instruments, or what anyone has heard, if anything.

Thanks a lot guys!

joe

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Funny you didn't find anything, I'm sure we've discussed these before. They look fantastic, buy one and do a review! I LOVE the name!!!! Great bass for a DEVO tribute band. :bassist:

3. Well I was sure I wasn't introducing anything new, but searching for 'Mr. Potato' gave me nothing, and searching for just 'Potato' I got a bunch of pages, but from the titles I couldn't find anything obviously specific about them. One was something like "Anyone ever own a Mr. Potato Bass?" but had no replies. So... ya... :smug:

joe

4. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Not to me. :eyebrow:

6. IcoHolic

IcoHolic

Aug 31, 2004
    The only inexpensive 6 string I've ever played is the Cort Curbow 6. For what they cost, they freaking rock.

As for the Mr Potato, the bass looks nice for the price, but I've never had the pleasure of playing one.

7. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    thats not a bad price for a neck/thru ! are the pickups really
    active! with active EQ??? or passive pups!!!! :eyebrow: :meh:

8. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Hey Joe, I've only heard good reports about them! Obviously remember how much they're costing though!

Regards

Mike

(yep, it's J from MX :))

9. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Hey joe, where you going with that gun in your hand?

I dunno a Neck thru, fancy wood, active electronics, dual humbuckers, 5 piece laminated necks, dual trussrods etc etc. for all of like 400 bux... The quality must be lacking somewhere if not everywhere...

Hey joe... i heard you shot your woman down.

10. I thought I recognized the 'regards' ;)

I'm not expecting anything absolutley brilliant. I'm just looking for something innexpensive, and so far it seems to be between the Brice and the Potato. I'm probably going to hold off though. I need to sell my combo, and get myself a good head for my 4x10. Thanks guys,

joe

11. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    I'm bumping this thread from the dead for one reason...

I played a Mr. Potato bass last night!

One of my colleagues was in the USAF stationed in Korea a couple of years ago and he picked up a bass there. Even has a gig bag with the logo on it.

It's heavy, has a chunky neck, the rear cavity cover is made from a pickguard and the battery just rattles around in it.

On the other hand, the bridge is pretty decent, the neck has binding and it's actually pretty cool to look at because of the distinctive headstock.

I didn't get to plug it in (this was at work) and the strings were probably dead two years ago but it was definitely worth every nickel of the $250 he paid for it.

12. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    I was at Osan AB in the ROK a number of years ago and was fortunate enough to befried "Ted" at Mr. Potato in Song Tan (outside the back gate). When I was over there, he only had bolt-ons (he got the neckthroughs about 2 weeks before I left). They weren't the prettiest basses I had ever seen, but they played very nice, sounded pretty good, and were decently constructed, especially considering the price. The limited time that I had playing his newer (att) basses impressed me even more. Looking back, I wish I had actually purchased a couple...

13. I learned through another thread that the no-name 6-string through body neck bass that I recently bought appears to be a Mr. Potato. It is, in fact, a very nice bass - well made, nice action and decent sound through double active pickups. Their website appears to be history. Does anyone know what happened to the imfamous Mr. Potato? It appears that the man behind Mr. Potato is Ted Kim who has or had a shop outside an Air Force bass in S. Korea where he sold instruments and gave free lessons to his customers. Is he still in business?

14. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    i saw an aguilar six string.. badass as hell purple color.. with seymour duncan basslines in it played like a dream sounded like thunder.. if u lived in pennsylvania i'd tell you where.. happy hunting..