1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mr. P's (lack of a) Master Plan

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mr. Pickles, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    Here's what I have currently:
    3347806586_f2b9e9983e.

And here's a possible signal flow if I were to use all of these effects:
    3347806054_8948fd7821.

Problem is, I don't really have an endgame. I've been on the buy/sell/trade merry go round for a while now.

Ultimately, I'd like to have two boards: one large, and one small. The large board would be for fun and experimenting with the hope that I'd be able to put together a post/math/experimental band in the near future. The small one would be for recording and the off chance that I have to rent a backline.

I'm currently in a ska band, and I don't need any effects. I would like to add some dub flavor to this project, though.

Am I missing anything on my board? Can you make suggestions on how to enhance and improve my setup? I know this is all kind of vague- forgive me for that.:ninja:

2. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    For a ska band that doesn't need effects, and looking to add a little dub flavor- I would just bring an fx25 and the oc2- maybe a tube or tube emulating pedal as well for your clean tone.

Also, the noisebox looks a bit out of place, I think you should sell it :ninja:

3. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    The PS-3 is also a piece of junk,, out of place pedal!

sell it to me :D

4. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    I think you have too many pedals. That would confuse the hell out of me.

5. dude, wouldn't some loopers be handy with a chain that long?

6. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Mr. P, that is one hell of a setup.... it's not about the "end" of the game, it's the road you take there that counts :D

Get a bigger board and don't stop!

7. seacouch

seacouch

Apr 21, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I'd recommend breaking them into groups, representing combinations that might be useful or practical, and then plan loops accordingly. One approach might be to work backwards, eliminating groups that you know are not useful or practical together. For instance, you probably won't want to do too many similar effects together, or too many "signal-destruction" effects like super-collider/heliotrope/noise box together, etc.

8. Mr. Pickles

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    Yes, it would.:p I'm thinking of adding a loop strip, only problem is my Big Shot isn't really deep enough to have a third row. I'm not sure I could cram it in. I'd love to get a bigger board, but this was a gift from my wife and it's the only music gear type thing she's ever given me.

I'm talking to 4M effects right now about a sequencer/looper idea that I have. Turns out, one of their existing products might be a perfect solution.

A GigRig would be cool, but they're so huge! A Road Rage looper would be fine for my needs.

9. Mr. Pickles

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    I agree. This has been in the back of my mind for a while. I have several combinations that I love, and this might be a good way to break the board into smaller parts.

I also have a few pedals that sort of overlap in terms of tones and such. I don't think I need the Helio, as I have other signal destruction effects that can cop similar tones. Noise Box + Q-Tron gets me pretty close to the Bassballs sound. The Supercollider is much more flexible than the Messdrive and covers some of the same ground.
    OC-2 + fuzz gets me into Soul Provider territory. But damn it all if I don't love each and every one of the effects I own. Thus my dilemma.

10. Mr. Pickles

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    I was sooo close to attending John's pedal hang. Too bad I didn't make it- it probably would've sorted me out. You're in NY, perhaps we could geek out on pedals some time. I vote for another hang!

11. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Here here! I'm down :)

12. Mr. Pickles

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    I'm also on the hunt for a delay with tap tempo. I've owned the DL-4 and DD-20 and regret unloading them. Here are some I'm looking at:

Molloon Delay
    Diamond Memory Lane II
    Time Factor
    Nova Delay
    Hardwire Delay
    Empress SuperDelay
    Pigtronix Phi Echolution
    Malekko (yet to be released)

I'd like to set up some rhythmic loops to jam over.

13. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I have the Hardwire and it sounds great and does what I need it to do. I don't know how big a delay user you are, but I've been really impressed with all the settings, especially the modulated delay mode.

14. Mr. Pickles

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    Thanks. How do you implement the tap tempo mode on the Hardwire? Is there a tap tempo input?

15. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
  16. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    if u get bored of pedals I know a guy who knows a guy that will adopt 1 or 2 pedals:bag: btw what can you say about the humming bird I was looking at it as an option for tremolo

17. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Not to say the others on your list aren't, but I can verify that all three of these are bad mamma jammas.

I can also say that all three of them were FAR beyond my delay needs. The Malekko 919 interests me because it looks like a stripped down version of what the Memory Lane is - a tap tempo analog delay. From the name I get the impression it also has a longer delay time than the ML.

I can also say that at first glance I thought the thread title was "Master P's (lack of a) Master Plan" and I thought to myself, "He has a plan - it's to make 'em say uhhh."

Yes, I'm ashamed of myself for that.

18. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    The Superdelay is pretty damn super, but I feel the same way- It does way more than i need it to so it had to go. It's by far the best digi delay I've heard so far, but it still wasn't for me- I really like warm and creamy analog repeats. The Memory Lane is enticing and I almost traded the superdelay for one, but the Malekko 919 looks like it will be the one- analog, tap tempo, modulation- sweet. I absolutely love the DM2 and put it back on my board for the time being, despite having only 300ms delay time which is way too short... Im crossing my fingers for the 919 to be a 'tap tempo DM2 with 600+ms delay time' and I'll be a happy man- modulation and anything else would just be icing on the cake.

19. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    true. but most seem to be TB and well....it is his chain:smug:

20. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    lame.

:p