Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mr.Tobias

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Jon Burnet, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    I was standing around my local boutique and was descussing the onslaught of foreign basses. of course the MTD and Laklands were the first name to pop out. one of my coherts said that you were very unhappy with the way the kingstons and heirs turned out. thus the reason you pulled prodution and moved it elsewhere. is there any merit to this. i am in the market for a new baby and just want to make sure i have my facts together before i buy. thanks.

2. michael tobias

michael tobias MTD

Mar 21, 2002
    Thanks for asking about this.....rumors can be very ugly when they get going.....

That statement could not be more wrong. The Kingston and Heir basses have never been produced in any other facility. I have been very pleased with the production in the Korean factory. They have been very willing to change production techniques to accomodate my designs and specifications. They have submitted to much stiffer quality control than they were used to and have upgraded their systems to accomplish this.

The quality has been so good that we are looking at producing a new instrument from that source very soon.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Best regards,

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    So, where did your friend get his story?

4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i'm sure he probably pulled it from an area very near where he sits! thank you mr tobias!

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The Kingstons I've seen have all been top rate. The fretwork outshines a lot of made-in-USA instruments.

6. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i have just been knocking the idea around of getting a fretless 5 and using an aggie outboard pre with it. i really like the sunburst but the black would look KILLER with a tortose shell pickguard. does mr tobias inspect them all like lakland does?

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That sounds like the usual source;)

8. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    Mike,

Can you give us a hint to what this new bass will be?!

thanks

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I know but can't devulge, or they'll be after me. I would have to watch my back at every turn, lock my family in one of those secure rooms and play "Girl from Ipanema" at every gig. A fate worse than ...., well you know.

Check out some of Adrian Garcia's posts. I think he might even have a pic on the website

Mike

10. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Actually search for a thread called

Discontinueing the Grendel

Mike

11. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    :D
    thanks!

12. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Does it rhyme with faratoga? ;)

13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Hey, you didn't hear that from me. Look out, was that a poison dart that whizzed passed your ear!

Mike