Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MRE's

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mike_v_s, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Meals-Ready-To-Eat. They are quite tasty. I'm a bit puzzled by the inclusion of 15 sheets of single ply toilet paper and the laxative gum, however. I understand the mechanics behind the inclusion, I just wonder how the whole process plays out in the field of battle. Not knowing when your next contact with the enemy will be, how do you know when it's safe to chew the gum...and why so little toilet paper?

Mike

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Meals Rejected by Ethiopians.

I love the Beef Stew flavor. Do you know how to make an MRE bomb? :)

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

Hahahahhaahahahahahahahaha!! :D:D

uhh...oh...you're not kidding?

When you eat two a day for days on end, they become more and more nasty. Tuna noodle casserole is pretty good, if I recall correctly...

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Jeez ... haven't pooped in a couple days? Chew the gum. Wait, then use TP when apropos.

5. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Everyone should know by now that toilet paper is worth its weight in gold. It is the THE universal commodity. When the apocalypse comes, most people will find it very uncomfortable to cleanse themselves with bars of gold. The last roll of two-ply will make men kings among other men. The laxative gum? Well, if someone was shooting at me for sustained periods of time, it would take a little extra to get the plumbing working again.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Kind of a strange coincidence that this thread would pop up here and now. On another forum I frequent, I started a topic recently about these premade indian dinners you can get at trader joes. I really like them a lot. They are silver bags full of tasty goop that you boil. Cheap, easy, filling(for the most part), tasty...etc.

That thread quickly became a discussion on MREs. Hopefully, This thread will become a discussion on baked goods :meh:

7. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Forgot to mention, MRE's really stop you up. Hence the laxative gum...

8. spyingcracker

spyingcracker

May 27, 2004
    Actually, the gum isn't really a laxative. It's a widely circulated rumor. I've eaten nothing but MREs for an entire weekend, and had no plumbing problems whatsoever.

Heated up, they are pretty good. The newer ones anyway. Mmm, chicken tetrazzinni! :bassist:

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Who came up with the name MRE... seems backwards, shouldn't it be Ready-to-eat-meal?

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    We like doing that in the Military. Actually it reads: Meal, Ready to Eat.

Kinda like Ammo, Ball.

The supply system uses the common name as a keyword when searching a database.

11. I thought of two ways the cooking process can be "lethalized" while reading the instructions. 1) The chemical reaction could be "contained". 2) The gas produced is quite flammable. I think further comment might break forum rules.

Munji: As I stated, I understand the mechanics...it was the amount of toilet paper available combined with what I was told is a laxative and trying to see how this works when one is under threat of death at any time. I suppose control of the system could be good...but man...when it's ready to go and you're under fire....what do ya do?

Mike

12. I bet you'd be surprised how many social conventions you could do away with when bullets are flying over your head.

Never been there, but I imagine under fire your ***hole slams shut under those conditions anyway.

Randy

13. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    And people shooting at you would almost immediately unstop you. Hence, the toilet paper :)

14. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I ate them more often than I care to remember - 3 a day for 19 days was the worst I remember.... 2 days of 2 per day is enough to stop up most of the grunts I worked with. Unless you make ranger pudding out of the coffee/coco and various other included ingredients.

15. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    No, because then 90s alternative would come out of the bag.

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Phrased kinda weird, but :cool: nonetheless.

I was more thinking that they could market it "Food of your dreams".

The real reason for the MRE name makes plenty sense though.

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Or maybe they could have called it "Meals, into your piehole, out through your cornhole."

Instructions never hurt anyone.

brad cook

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I've always been amazed at the human body's ability to turn pie into corn. I guess some things are better left a mystery though.

20. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I think I have about 6 of these sittin in my pantry right now. They make a great meal for backpacking/camping. I'm sure they do get old quick though.