1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MSL 2-Channel 3 Band ParaEQ w/Fuzz feedbacker

Discussion in 'For Sale: Effects and Pedals' started by dlenaghan, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Up for sale: a pedal that just wasn't meant to be. Paid [del]200[/del]300, looking for something in the neighborhood of [del]130[/del][del]200[/del]150 shipped insured from Korea:

Updated for Trade interest: Fairfield Circuitry, Infanem etc.. w/cash on my end for stuff like that.

Updated to reflect the actual cost to me - I apologize for the confusion, but I found the actual cost while going through emails with the builder trying to find the specs on the boost. Sorry if this puts out any hopeful lurkers out there!

Making Sounds Loudly built me a side by side 3 band Parametric EQs. Aluminum etched "twin whale" graphics, single Boss-style power in the back. I wanted a parametric EQ that would give me a whole other instrument, but this one is far more transparent.

It's responsive, sure - but my bass still sounds like my bass, only.. EQ'd. For some, that's great. For me.. my Arion ParaEQ turns my bass into this old-timey banjo-through-a-radio thing, and my Boss PQ-3B gives me total low-end synthy sine waves, which is what I want.

It has four foot switches: from L to R, EQ2, EQ1, Momentary feedback loop (with knob to adjust level), Fuzz (with knob to adjust level). It's a bright, ruthless fuzz, and the feedback loop really catches it in a hectic, walking-on-a-supernova kind of way.

Plus, it is really pretty.

Pics to come.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That is way cool.

3. It is quite cool - it just doesn't work in the way I was hoping it would. It's an expensive lesson in commissioning pedals, that's for sure, but I hope someone will find it interesting enough to try out. It's pretty much new. I used it once for a rehearsal, tweaked it left and right, up and down, but it just won't give me the tone I want, whereas the Arion and Boss EQs I use really do their own thing to the tone, which is something that a lot of people seem to want to avoid.. so if you want a tonally transparent dual parametric EQ with bright fuzz and feedback built in, this is what you need!

4. kylej7

kylej7

Jul 23, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    do you have any soundclips?

5. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Do you know the range of the Q control(s) and a general range of the three frequency controls? I'm assuming the "Boost" controls also cut if you want (with the center being flat)? How much does it boost/cut? This looks pretty cool- if it has a more acute range available from the Q control than my old Empress ParaEQ I am definitely interested! Judging from your description the Q might just be in a wider range though. I wonder how hard it would be to replace the fuzz circuit with a boost, and also to add a Master volume (or 2)...

6. From Mark of Make Sound Loudly:
    Low 58Hz to 570Hz

Mid 379Hz to 1790Hz

High 990Hz to 4675Hz

+ or - 6dB per band (The cutoff Frequency per band is actually 3dB less than unity so its actually more like +3db and - 9dB *engineer speak*)

Not sure about how wide or narrow the Q sweep is though. Still looking to make a video, but I've been swamped the past week or so.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That +/- 6 dB explains a big part of why the effect sounds more subtle to you than your previous EQ's, which probably were in the range of +/- 12 to +/- 18 dB. IOW this EQ is going to be perfect for somebody who wants more useful "knob turn range" of adjustability within a normal tone-shaping spread.

8. FWIW, Mark makes some silly nice pedals and the build quality is super nice. Great guy to deal with as well.

Wish I had a need for this beast!

9. Back up. Wish I lived in the US sometimes if only for much cheaper shipping and therefore more flexibility on altering custom work. I'll try to get a demo up this weekend, or at least sound clips. All in all, two subtle, transparent 3-band para-EQs with a wild fuzz and feedback switch. Price is flexible as it's not doing me much good sitting about. Trades also possible for dirty ODs, as in along the lines of a Dark Driving.

10. Bump for sound clips! Most of the changes are in the description. I'm playing a '72 Guild JS-II w/ Darkstars through my Apogee Duet into Garageband. No other effects, EQing, or compression. I listened to the clips, they seem quite accurate. Only the Twin Whale is at work here. I'm still talking some changes over with Mark at Make Sounds Loudly, as there are moments when I love it, but it's not extreme enough for me. For subtler tone shaping (and two identical side-by-side Parametric EQs), this could work real nicely.

[del]http://soundcloud.com/ad-afadabeie/msl-paraeq-fuzz-demo[/del]

http://monophone.bandcamp.com/track/msl-eq-fuzz-demo

11. Early bump to drop price: 150 shipped!

12. Bump!

13. Check out the soundclips, they show exactly where it can take you. And no, there's no drive in the signal - that's the function of the Q sweep!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.