Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MSM Audition - Information requested

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by pedro, Jan 19, 2005.

1. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    My son has an audition set for March 3, and we're considering borrowing a school bass so as to avoid the hassles and expense of bringing our own. I would be curious as to the general condition of the school basses.

2. Pedro, I have a friend at MSM and he tells me they have very good quality basses. However there is a BIG risk at switching basses for an audition. All the spacings will be different and I think if you willing to make the trip to New York you should make it worth your while and take your bass so your son will feel comfortable during his audition and not be worried about his intonation.

3. Ben Joella

Ben Joella

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    I agree fully. Auditions are stressful enough without changing any variables. If you must though, insist that your son have at least 2-3 days to get used to the different bass, so it is not so diffferent. In other words, try to do all of the interviewing and looking around before your son's audition day, so that he can get the bass in hand well before the day that he has to play for folks. They should be willing to let you sign it out or have one of the profs sign it out for him. Also, if it's a must, your son could bring his strings with him too (leaving his bass strung with something else of course). That would put one extra variable in his corner.

Still though, better to make a two day drive with a familiar instrument.

4. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Man you guys are the best. We spoke to him about it last night and he doesn't seem that concerned about playing someone else's bass. Never the less, I plan to investigate the cost and aggrevation of bringing our own. If any of you guys know what's involved in flying with an upright please feel free to chime in. I know we'd have to borrow or rent a trunk but otherwise am clueless.

5. Cost can vary. I friend of mine just flew from Indy to NY with no charge but i have seen as much as a $100 each way cost of taking the bass. Or there is always driving. I think it might be worth it and on your way back you could swing by IU and check out the campus

6. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Just an FYI.

I have made if from Chicago to NYC in about 12 hours going at safe speeds. When you get to NYC just avoid going through the parking lot (Manhattan).

7. Ben Joella

Ben Joella

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Pedro,

There are two functions that can cost more: the weight and total dimensions of the case. It will likely come in over weight and size. I have seen up to $75.00 for each overage each way. That was extreme though.

Generally it is up to the person checking you in as to what they charge you. In my experience, I have looked for the person who looks least stressed out and who might likely be sympathetic (in your case) to a dad who is about to drop serious coin for his kid to go to college. If you can find the huge guy that the airline desk clerks will call out to take the thing away, he might be able to tell you which person will get you through with the least hassles.

$100 each way is probably safe to assume.

The other consideration though is that only larger planes can hold the flight trunks. If you have a connection that flies a smaller plane (prop, turbo prop) it won't fit in the cargo hold (or at least they won't let it).

I bet you would be O.K. in Madison, but you need to make sure they are flying big enough planes to hold the trunk.

Hope this helps. Driving still seems eaiser.

8. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    I would definately stay away from the school instruments at MSM. They are certainly not quality. Moreover, they are not maintained at all so you neverk now what kind of shape they will be in. Just a word to the wise.

9. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Thanks guys, I've pretty much decided to lug our own bass. We still have time to change our mind but that's my current inclination.

10. contrabajisimo

contrabajisimo

Feb 9, 2004
    Chicago
    When transporting upright by air is it mandotory to submit it as a baggage? In this case, I presume, it is necessary to have a hardshell case? How do the fees vary if you want to take it with you and sit it in the corner or something? Possible or not? Thanks.

11. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [[When transporting upright by air is it mandotory to submit it as a baggage?

My understanding is that it is not mandatory. We are flying the bass to his audition at NEC. We chose to buy a ticket for the bass and take it onboard. This is our first time so I'll have to let you all know how it works out. But my wife spoke at lengths with the airline and you have to be sure its the right size plane.

12. contrabajisimo

contrabajisimo

Feb 9, 2004
    Chicago
    Thanks. Good luck.

13. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Like I said, we've not done this before. I strongly encourage you to have a detailed conversation with the airlines first. For us, it was going to be cheaper to buy a ticket than to rent a trunk, etc.

14. Ben Joella

Ben Joella

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Pedro,

Is this a widebody (two aisles) plane you are flying (747,777)?

Reason I ask is because I first tried this approach and have found that even though you say the words "double bass" to the airlines, what they hear and picture is "cello". To them they are the same instrument.

If it is not a widebody plane (you need the center seats to allow for the basses height), then there will likely be problems. I could not get my bass on a 757, so I imagine the same would follow for the 727, 737 and other 3+3 or 3+2 configurations that are popular for U.S. flights.

The problem is that the neck of the bass needs to stick out into the aisle on these types of planes. The piolt has one look at that setup and out goes your bass. And to be fair, it is a deadly serious obstruction in the aisle.

If it is a widebody, I would to know the airline that flys them within the U.S. Like you said, it would be cheaper to buy a ticket.

15. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I forgot about this thread.

Anyhoo, all the auditions are done. He's been accepted at all the school he applied for (MSM, NEC, Berklee and UNT) and we're waiting on pins and needles to see which one he picks.

As indicated, we flew the bass out to and from NEC without incident. Got to the airport early and negotiated the bulkhead each time. The trip to NY went fine to and the return was picture perfect until we got to Chicago. And as Ben Joella, mentioned the plane we were booked on from Chicago to Madison was NOT big enough and the bass had to be checked. My heart was in my throat for all 30 mintues we were in the air but the bass arrived fine.

My wife had been assured that the plane was big enough but just exactly like Ben Joella, mentioned, I think they heard 'Bass' and pictured a 'cello'. Be forewarned.

While I was waiting for my son to finish his audition one of the other parents gave me copies of letters from the American Federation of Musicians as well as the United States Department of Transportation addressing the transportation of instruments as carry on baggage. If anyone wants a copy, please send me a message and I will forward the documents to you. They might prove useful.

16. Ben Joella

Ben Joella

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Hey, congratulations to your son. He must be quite the player, because that is an impressive list of schools. I hope he is as proud as he deserves to be. :D

17. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Thanks Ben. I'm not sure how he feels but we're very proud. We're just very anxious to find out where he decides to go. We have to consider the scholarships offered and the opportunites provided by each school. Ultimately he needs to go somewhere that excites him. Fortunately, I'm convinced that there are excellent teachers at each school.

18. prelims222

prelims222

Sep 20, 2004
    Southeast US
    Congrats to your son pedro - and congrats to you for surviving the experience.

19. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    'Surviving' LOL! Well put.

Let me tell it's not over yet. He's our oldest and the first we'll have to ship off to college.Its a parental rights of passage and one we are NOT looking forward to. My wife and I have spent as much time with our kids as is possible and I doubt we've missed more than a handful of performances, sporting events, etc. We are definitely already stressing about not getting to see him on a daily basis and not getting to enjoy seeing him in his college ensembles.

For those of you that are still dependents, I hope you'll keep mom and dad in mind when you leave the nest. Call them and keep them in the loop (so to speak).

20. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    Kudos Pedro on your son and to you for being a superdad . I'm sure he appreciates all the support.
    when I first went off to school my folks were basket cases the first year. Especially my mom..They got over it when they discovered how peaceful it was not to hear the Dragonetti concerto anymore....