Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MSN Messenger 6.0

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mr. Zebraface, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Right, I just downloaded MSN Messenger 6.0 today. I was halfway through a conversation when suddenly a message popped up, saying my computer would be closing down automatically in 60 seconds. I rebooted the machine, went back on Messenger, and all my friends said that they had the same problem. Do you think this is a bug in the new design or something? Coz i'm getting worried it's screwing up my computer...it says "This shutdown was intiated by NT Authority/System"

2. I've been using it for atleast a month now and I have never had that problem before at all. That's really weird.

3. I just had the same problem, well actully, I'm
    in the middle of it, it started to shut down, then when it got to 50 seconds, it froze at 50 and its still there...wierd, I don't want to mess with it in case it will do it again, I was thinking it was my internet, not msn, but i guess I'm wrong...cool

4. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    No problems here... yet:ninja:

:D

5. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I've never had that problem..

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    I like the fact that you can have an avatar

other than that it's pretty stable... maybe it was another program running or you have a serious spyware problem

7. My drummer was complaining about the same thing!

8. i dont like how the avatars are opposite how they are here

9. It unfortunatly has nothing to do with MSN 6.0 guys. It is a lovely thing called a virus.

I had it happening for the past week getting progresivly worse. Today it got to the point where I barely had time to load a webpage prior to it shutting my machine down. The computer tech that I talked to (very reliable local guy, not some cheeseball from Best Buy) said I had two options.

1) Wait til mid next week when Norton and the like are supposed to have a patch for it.

2) Reformat, reinstall windows, and start over.

I chose option #2 since I can't be without the net for a week. From what I am told this virus only affects Windows XP systems.

10. ...this isnt the same virus as they are talking about in the "beware of worm" thread is it? if so, uh oh, you guys are screwed!

11. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    yeah trillian w00t w00t!

12. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Does anybody know where the virus comes from? I had a friend that just had it hit his computer, but he's only had the thing (BRAND new Dell) for 3 days!!

13. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    yep, you have an exploit in your system... this was easily prevented if you did a "windows update" more often... im pasting a discussion about this:

More info on: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp

More info and EXPLOIT VULNERABILITY TESTING on: http://secur1ty.net/dcom.cgi

PLEASE PEOPLE, IF YOU ARE RUNNING A WINDOWS BASED COMPUTER DO A FREAKIN "WINDOWS UPDATE" EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE!

Moderator: Clone my post and sticky it somwhere... I just noticed it is been hitting tons of people i know and probably will hit more talkbassers... the worm is already out and hitting the exploit really hard

14. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    How can you download the patch when it keeps shutting down your system before you can download it? My friend got the program to remove the worm, ran it, restarted, and ran it again, just as the website instructed. Then he connected to the net and started downloading the patch, but the worm re-infected his machine before he could download the 5.3 MB patch. On a 28.8 kbps connection, 5.3 megs takes a while to download. How can you avoid this vicious cycle? Wait a few days while the world around you cleans up, or just keep taking your chances?

15. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    by installing the update when it was released?

sorry i cant be of more help to the people already affected, good luck next time

16. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    It seems as though I got rid of the virus...I edited the registry like the Symantec website said, I installed the security patch and everythig seems fine for now...

Look in your task manager, if under the "Processes" tab there is a file named msblaster.exe, you have a problem...

17. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Well, that is a very viable option. However, as I stated, he has had the computer a grand total of *3* days. That was the SECOND time he had connected to the internet!! He was still familiarizing himself with the computer when it was hit with the worm. It's not as though he had owned the computer for a few years and was too lazy/stupid to do updates!!!

18. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    BOO-YAH for Windows 2000 Professional!:D

19. it affects all windows systems(not just XP), except for ME.

if you set your computers time to the year 2002(or earlier) you should be able to avoid the rebooting.. then you should find out how to get rid of it.