MSN messenger help please!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by big daddy cool, Aug 24, 2003.

1. Ok, I know nothing about computers so I'm sorry if what I'm asking seems really stupid.

A few days ago I tried to download the new msn 6.0. After I did so, I wasn't able to use msn anymore.

Every time I try and log on an error message appears telling me I've made an invalid dynamic link to a .DLL file. I don't even know what a .DLL file is.

I've tried several times to delete msn from my computer and then download it again, but this doesn't seem to help. The error still appears.

If its any help to you, I use windows 98 on my pc which is the standard msn download application thingy... I've already thought of that.

Any advice would really be appreciated cause I'm really starting to get quite upset about all this... I'm a MSN addict and cold turkey is killing me.

2. hmm.. what .dll file is it referring to?

I'm not sure what your problem could be. Does the installation process finish without errors?

btw, you should never just delete programs on your computer. Always uninstall them - there comes an uninstallation program with most software, and if not, then through "control panel" -> "add/remove programs".

it's been a while since I used win98... but I'll try to help.
  3. .DLL = Dynamic Link Library. This is additional info for applications (very simply stated). Probably an incorrect or corrupt version was downloaded to you. I've heard of this happening occasionally with applications on Windows 95. The way to correct the situation was to re-install Windows 95, but that's like starting over and can be a little time consuming. I hope someone can offer a simpler solution for you, but I don't know of another way. When I was still using Windows 98, I found that my machine ran much better if I re-installed Windows once in a while anyway.
  4. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Unless I'm mistaken, MSN 6.0 can only be used by OS's with Windows2000 and newer. Could be wrong though. MSN should have a page where you can go to download previous versions. I know on my Windows95 machine I couldn't download 6.0, but on the new XP machine I can. That's my best guess.
  5. There is an MSN 6.0 download for Windows 98 users at . Click on "Downloads" then click on "Popular". Scroll down to "MSN 6.0 for Windows 98 users". I've never used this site, but I ran across it for anyone else's information. I hope it is of some assistance.
  6. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

The problem with that is that its not Microsoft licensed and *may* contain spyware. I got a download of MSN 5.0 for my Win95 machine and it gave me crap from day 1.

7. I don't want to steer anybody wrong. Like I said, I've never used the site and only offered it for information. If anyone has doubts, don't use the download.